Speedometer- What Cable?

Ripley/Fla
Inactive member

Speedometer- What Cable?

Post by Ripley/Fla »

A speedometer came with my Panhead. It is aftermarket. I bought a cable from Kick Start that does not fit. The problem is the fitting on the back of the speedo. It is much smaller than stock. It measures 12MM by 1 MM thread pitch. Does anyone recognize this and know where I can pick up a cable? As I write this I realize it may be for a front wheel speedo drive. I know nothing! Thanks for any info!
VT

Father's Day REVOLT..........Now!!!!

Post by VT »

Kick-Start Parts misunderstanding?....I feel responsible Ripley, believe it or not. There is a terrific gap between persons who admit they "don't know anything" (which is in itself a rare circumstance) and the valuable asset of Kick-Start M/C Parts, imo.
You bought the wrong cable and you didn't blame it on Kick-Start or bug them for a return. And to my knowledge you didn't call them and try and bust their chops trying to get a "deal" on the price, or try and bust their chops about how so-and-so has a cheaper price. That's darn cowboy of you.
How can I help you?
The aftermarket cable (to transmission) is VT 36-0621. It's a '62-up style speedo cable with a female coupling on the speedo end and female coupling on the transmission end.
The OEM speedometers are female on the back.
k29cs0.jpg
The AM speedos have a male fitting on the back.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
You deserve a digital camera for Father's Day. Father's Day should not be a day where dad is depicted like a buffoon....when dad is saddled with yet more responsibilities....like when his gift is a car washing attachment or a lawnmower.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by VT on Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Re: Father's Day REVOLT..........Now!!!!

Post by 51Hog »

VT wrote:Kick-Start Parts misunderstanding?....I feel responsible Ripley, believe it or not. There is a terrific gap between persons who admit they "don't know anything" (which is in itself a rarity) and the valuable asset of Kick-Start M/C Parts (the real-thing chuck wagon) for this USA outfit we're running.
You bought the wrong cable and you didn't blame it on Kick-Start or bug them for a return. And to my knowledge you didn't call them and try and bust their chops trying to get a "deal" on the price, or try and bust their chops about how so-and-so has a cheaper price. That's darn cowboy of you.
How can I help you?
The aftermarket cable (to transmission) is VT 36-0621. It is a '68-up style speedo cable with a female coupling on the speedo end and female coupling on the transmission end. The OEM are female on the back.

The AM speedos have a male fitting on the back.
VT--
The way you promote and defend Kick Start makes it look like they have to charge the high prices to cover your cut.
Maybe some of you do not have to shop for the best price, but I, and others that are not independently wealthy do.
"Bust Chops"----If someone does not have the best price out there on an item, then if they want to compete, they need to find a new supplier, or at the least offer something that the other retailers don't offer.
Sure, they will make sales----to those that don't have to ask how much, or to those that do not shop.
When I spoke to some guy at kick start about a BDL belt drive and told him what CC was selling for, He laughed and said that was below his cost.
I am now running that belt drive from CC.
With the atitude that I felt over the phone from him, I may try one more time to deal with him---Who knows, maybe he was having a bad day.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
You deserve a digital camera for Father's Day. Father's Day should not be a day where dad is depicted like a buffoon....when dad is saddled with yet more responsibilities....like when his gift is a car washing attachment or a lawnmower.
VT

Post by VT »

I may try one more time to deal with him---Who knows, maybe he was having a bad day.
I wasn't referring to you.
Bad days happen with sole proprietorship's though. As a parts resource life-line, I think it's something that benefit's as a 7-11 convenience store of flathead and early OHV m/c parts.
For the third time though.... I don't get a cut from any manufacturer.
I sell books we write, and offer mechanical advise and ride-wear suggestions for the most part. Although, there's the health food breakfast blast link and most recently. the "old dog - wheel bearing rejuvenator (both posted on "Other Business").
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Note on "Quotes": If you copy some lines of text from a post, just highlight the lines you want to copy. Then start your reply post, and hit the "quote" buttons (open and closed bracketed boxes) in succession and then "paste" the text you copied in between the brackets. This will keep from re-posting a pic and save on the site's page capacity before it flips over to a new page.

Post by Guest »

I purchased a chopper from a gentleman who owned it for supposedly 35 years. I thought I was getting an old school family heirloom, what I bought was the bastard stepson. I forgot the old saying "If they don't know what they are doing on the outside means they don't know what they are doing on the inside." Couple this with my being away from Panheads for 25 years blinded me to the AM garbage that was on this scooter. I purchased a cable that has "female fittings on both cable ends fit(s) any big twin aftermarket speedometer" It does not fit. I believe it is because (like most everything else) it is cheap AM junk. A lot of it is old, cheap AM junk, and I just assumed I would have to Fleabay around and get another speedo. Anywho, I like Chuck at Kick-Start and am not going to bother him over an issue like this. So, if anyone knows if a .452 or 12 MM X 1 MM thread pitch male speedometer is the Taiwanese standard, Thank you. Then I will know if I need a new speedo or a cable.
VT

Post by VT »

Does your speedo look like the above pic? That's AM. You have the V-Twin 36-0621 part number for the cable, and it's the (67026-62) cable.
speedocabl03qc2.jpg
The thrust washer on the trans. unit is important. One comes with the cable. I don't know what the J&P number is, probably the same as V-Twins.
Kick-Start's part number is 2544.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ripley/Fla
Inactive member

Post by Ripley/Fla »

VT, I checked some stuff out and from your info I have. A) Aftermarket 2:1 speedometer with a 12MM male end. B) Speedo cable that has a 5/8 female end at the speedometer. This obviously won't fit, but V-Twin sells a 12MM to 5/8 adaptor for just such problems. Thanks for the help.

Return to “Speedometer, Dashboard & Instruments”