Tuning up a 1951 speedometer

51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Tuning up a 1951 speedometer

Post by 51Hog »

I am in the process of tuning up a 2:1 1951 Stuart Warner Speedometer. I have sort of cleaned this one before, but it is still not working correctly. Never done it before, and can't find any info.
Anyone have any books or info?
I now know how to check the calibration of the needle to see if it matches the odometer.
this speedo needs to do 2000 rpm at 60 mph--or 1000 rpm at 30 mph.
With a battery drill held at 30 mph, it should take 2 minutes to indicate 1 mile.

There is a hair spring that is connected to the indicator needle shaft on this speedo. There is a lever that adjusts the tension of the spring.
When I change the tension of this spring, It moves the indicator needle by about 8mph.
The only other speedo that I have been into had an adjustment to move the driven cup closer to, or farther away from the driving magnet.
Does anyone know the proper procedure for calibrating the speedo needle to the odometer on this speedo?
51Hog
Bikes: 1951 Fl

Re: Tuning up a 1951 speedometer

Post by 51Hog »

Got it!!
Yesterday I could not even spell Speadomeetre mekanik---And today I r one!!! Its gettin' hot here---need to find a tree....LOL
;D
I would still love to find a book for repairing these----and an outlet for buying the parts to do it with.
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

Hi Hog

Good to hear you got the old speedo dialed in. Getting an operating speedometer on my 51FL is my next big project. Unfortunately I have to start in the tranny by installing a drive gear. I know my speedo works as i have done the drill test also. It would be great if you posted what you did to calibrate yours so we could add it to the knowledge bank.

Good Rides

King
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

John Bordas in Wheatridge CO. has all the eqpt. to calibrate and the parts to repair H-D speedos. He does a lot of speedometer work for the antique mob. I have three speedos with him now for refurbishment. 303-420-4510
VPH-D

Return to “Speedometer, Dashboard & Instruments”