How to remove speedometer from housing

PanRider
Bikes: 1962 Duo-Glide Panhead
2005 Road King Classic

How to remove speedometer from housing

Post by PanRider »

Housing.jpg
Just bought the correct speedometer housing for my 62 pan and it came with a repo 61 and earlier speedometer. I take out the mounting base center screw like the manual says but the housing gets hung up on the switch.Here's a picture of where it gets hung up. There is a tab coming off the side of the switch (it's white in the picture) Does the top of the switch come off first? That's not what the manual says. Don't know if I just need to use more force or what. Any suggestions? Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Re: How to remove speedometer from housing

Post by Panacea »

Try inserting a limber feeler gauge alongside the switch then work it around to the bottom where it's catching the dash cover...Mike You might want to disconnect the battery first.
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

That tab is a security feature-when the key is not in the "Engine run" Or "Lights on" positions, the tab sticks out, so a potential thief can't take off easily the dash and jump the switch terminals.

Turn the switch to either "Engine Run" Or "Lights On" positions, and the tab will retract.
Panhead Ed
Bikes: 1948 FL
1959 FLH chopper
1966 Norton P-11
1968 XLCH
1976 FXE

Post by Panhead Ed »

When the switch is in the off position the tab lined up with a small recess in the cover ... Its the key that moves the security tab in and out "locking "the ign. .. as allways aftermarket components requier some fitting , but when you get thing s lined up it will come off.

If your off position isnt straight in line "front to back" you may have wired the switch wrong . Ed
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

That is also a reproduction switch which may not fit as well as an original, adding to the issue. The dash cover lifts right off when the center bolt is removed on a stock system.
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

Panhead Ed wrote:When the switch is in the off position the tab lined up with a small recess in the cover ... Its the key that moves the security tab in and out "locking "the ign. .. as allways aftermarket components requier some fitting , but when you get thing s lined up it will come off.

If your off position isnt straight in line "front to back" you may have wired the switch wrong . Ed
Yeah, Ed, you're right. Thanks for correcting my error.
Panhead Ed
Bikes: 1948 FL
1959 FLH chopper
1966 Norton P-11
1968 XLCH
1976 FXE

Post by Panhead Ed »

awander wrote:
Panhead Ed wrote:When the switch is in the off position the tab lined up with a small recess in the cover ... Its the key that moves the security tab in and out "locking "the ign. .. as allways aftermarket components requier some fitting , but when you get thing s lined up it will come off.

Yeah, Ed, you're right. Thanks for correcting my error.
DONT TELL MY WIFE !
PanRider
2005 Road King Classic

Post by PanRider »

How can you tell it's a reproduction switch? The housing has enough wear on it to make me believe it is original as well as the mounting piece with all the wiring. In fact, that is another question I have - the wiring needs to be rewired including the bulb holders, several of which are missing. Where can I get replacements?
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

PanRider wrote:How can you tell it's a reproduction switch? The housing has enough wear on it to make me believe it is original as well as the mounting piece with all the wiring. In fact, that is another question I have - the wiring needs to be rewired including the bulb holders, several of which are missing. Where can I get replacements?
You can buy a high-quality reproduction wiring harness from watertowngirl on eBay. They are as close to identical as original as you'll find. There are other wiring harnesses available out there, too. Just avoid buying from Hummer Emporium, you will wait for months for your order.
PanRider
2005 Road King Classic

Post by PanRider »

BigIncher, can you give me more information on how to contact watertowngirl?
PanRider
2005 Road King Classic

Post by PanRider »

Panacea, the feeler gauge worked. It was a bear coming off. Thanks for the suggestions. Still wondering how one can tell the switch is a repo. Must be a fairly old repo as rusty as the terminal screws are.... but then, maybe that's a sign of a repo!
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

Perry Ruiter in Canada can replace your dash sockets, he may sell the sockets, also. He has a website.
Post a picture of your ignition switch with the cover open, the cover itself is shaped like a repro.
VPH-D
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

PanRider wrote:BigIncher, can you give me more information on how to contact watertowngirl?
I'm at work and using my iPhone right now, but I can help you with this later today. Sorry 'bout that.
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

bigincher gave you a good source, bob luland(thegoodoldmotorcyclepartscompany) on ebay has what you need also. if he dosn't i'm sure he can make it for you. you can't go wrong between the two.
UPSROD
Bikes: 58 FLH 65 FLH 81 FXB 04 FLHRSI

Post by UPSROD »

The part of the switch sticking out that kept you from getting the dash off is plastic. Original switches are not plastic.

Return to “Speedometer, Dashboard & Instruments”