Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Speedometer gearing

Post by PanPal »

Description: Anybody know how to pick the correct gears and how much I need to pull out to change this gearing?

I have my transmission out repairing a seeping stud. While it is on the bench I'd like to get my speedometer gearing correct. My needle points down now, but I know when it reads 30 I'm doing 40MPH, when it read 40, I'm doing 55 when it read 50 I'm doing 70 MPH. So for every 10 MPH it goes 15 MPH. Anybody know how to pick the correct gears and how much I need to pull out to change this gearing?
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Speedometer gearing

Post by fourthgear »

panpal
It may be easier to just get the right speedo for the gearing on the tranny drive . Some times the speedo has the ratio stamped or written on the under side of it. It could be just a sticking speedo ( they do stick and need lubed , cable too, I've seen cables screwed up and give bad or inconsistent readings ) you can count the teeth on the cable drive gear to see what is what , to change the tranny drive gear you have to pull the counter shaft and change that drive gear and the cable drive . I think you should have a 2-1 ratio and there should be eleven teeth on the cable drive for 36-61.
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

The speedo drive ratio is 2/1 up thru 1961. Make sure you have the correct driven gear installed inyour trans. I think 11 teeth is correct. There was a 13 tooth gear used in the 60s that will throw off speedo readings if installed in an early trans. What trans sprocket are you running? A 24 will make the speedo read low.
VPH-D
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

The driven gear does have 11 teeth and I am running a 24 tooth sprocket. It sounds like I live with it being off.

Thanks for the input!

Return to “Speedometer, Dashboard & Instruments”