Need help with throttle grip on new bars

Mr Mach1
Bikes: 1949 Panhead

Need help with throttle grip on new bars

Post by Mr Mach1 »

I'm starting with bare 1" bars and I'm confused about the controls I need to get. I want vintage style grips for a single cable to a s&s super e. I was told to get a cheap throttle sleeve and use my grips of choice. I'm into this bike for way too much to put cheap grips on my bars. Can I get some feedback and pics of what I'll need?
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: Need help with throttle grip on new bars

Post by 1950Panhead »

36-48 56204-35 have ribs.
49-? 56212-53 waffle patern.
Internal controls differ and some aftermarket use different controls.
Jerry
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

An S&S E will work ok with a -74 factory single cable throttle set up. Run the cable inside the right tank next to the frame and it plops right intp the carb cable guide. The factory set up has the friction knob to override the return spring for highway riding.
VPH-D
Mr Mach1

Post by Mr Mach1 »

OK, once again I left out important info. My bars are VT 49 style bars. The $35 ones without internal controls. I see nice vintage style grips for 73-90? Which look like there's a boss for the cable to attach. The cable that came on my bike has a rigid chrome tube with a nut on the end that attached to a boss that's clamped to the bars.
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

Go back to your earlier post about the bars & internals, I posted pictures of how I re-cut my internals to work in reverse, (changing them from the push cable the Linkert uses to a pull for the S&S) These are on a set of 49 bars. If you are going with after market internals they can be purchased in either push or pull to match your carb. just buy a set that is cut with the proper spiral twist you need. And once again go to a local shop so you can return them if you need to. With E-bay you're pretty much stuck with the junk you get.
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

As far as the grips go you'll have to match them to the sleeves you buy. All of the after market ones are different and some grips end up being too long while others too short. Once again this is the type of problems you get when dealing with the after market and why it is so much easier to use a local shop instead of the internet. While you can't always get exact detailed fit info. from some of the catalogs most shops will let you return the stuff it if isn't compatible. Most of the after market suppliers have pretty good info. about what their parts fit in their books you just have to be careful about reading all the fine print and foot notes in their descriptions. (Since you stated in your previous posts you are using after market bars that will have to be modified to use after market internals I go back to my original advice about getting everything from the same source as you'll have a better chance that things will be compatible.)
Mr Mach1

Post by Mr Mach1 »

OK. I did some parts eyeballin today and I think I figured it out.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mr Mach1

Post by Mr Mach1 »

I like the clean lines of the internal throttle and I think that's the way I'll go.

Return to “Handlebars, Cables & Switches”