New internal throttle control

Mr Mach1
Bikes: 1949 Panhead

Re: New internal throttle control

Post by Mr Mach1 »

Hauula Pan wrote:Glad someone was able to post experience with a couple of brands for you, as you can see there are many. Ultima, BKrider, Biker's Choice, Jireh, Exile, Arlen Ness just to name a few, which is why it was impossible to know what ones you were looking at on e-bay. Hope all the info. helps you decide on which way to go, and remember we love to see pictures of fellow members bikes & projects so please be sure to post some when you get a chance.
I've seen the Ultima, BKrider, Exile on ebay. My $$ is tight right now but I think maybe I'll ge a set of replica bars with built in controls. For about $220 it has the factory look I crave. I hunt for a unit that'll work with those bars and upgrade when the funds leak out my butt. Here's what I started with. A 49 with wrong frame , tanks and most everything else. Lots of crap parts stuck on it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mr Mach1

Post by Mr Mach1 »

Here it is in transition. I met a great guy named Don Spence. He's the President of the Long Island Chapter of the Antique Motorcycle Club. He swaped me the 57 frame & 58 tanks I had for a proper wishbone & 49 tanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mr Mach1

Post by Mr Mach1 »

This is how it sits now.
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

Wow, great pictures. You've come a long way from what you started with & while it may not be a total original restoration it is very much coming out with an original stock look and a very nice one. Mine is a 1952 in a 49 frame so can't enter any AMOCA events but it has won a couple of local shows. I am currently changing from an S&S to the original Linkert which I had on it years ago and have to change my internal spiral back from pull to push. I am using a set of replica bars from V-Twin and to make them work with the S&S I drilled out the spot welds on the spiral & had a friend cut one with the spiral reversed & I re-welded it in. Now I'll have to switch it back. The V-Twin internals are a bit different from true stock ones and can be a bit rough, I had to file the grooves to smooth out the operation but they work OK. Both my throttle & spark advance work fine. I too looked for a reasonably priced set of true stock bars with stock internals but didn't have any luck. the few I found were in poor condition and way over priced. My replicas look & work just fine and since my bike isn't a true numbers correct restoration I've no problem with it just looking stock. The main thing for me is it looks the way I want it to & it runs good. I don't care if someone nit-picks & says its not correct. If I can find pics. I took of the internals I'll try to post them.
Mr Mach1

Post by Mr Mach1 »

Hauula Pan wrote:Wow, great pictures. You've come a long way from what you started with & while it may not be a total original restoration it is very much coming out with an original stock look and a very nice one. Mine is a 1952 in a 49 frame so can't enter any AMOCA events but it has won a couple of local shows. I am currently changing from an S&S to the original Linkert which I had on it years ago and have to change my internal spiral back from pull to push. I am using a set of replica bars from V-Twin and to make them work with the S&S I drilled out the spot welds on the spiral & had a friend cut one with the spiral reversed & I re-welded it in. Now I'll have to switch it back. The V-Twin internals are a bit different from true stock ones and can be a bit rough, I had to file the grooves to smooth out the operation but they work OK. Both my throttle & spark advance work fine. I too looked for a reasonably priced set of true stock bars with stock internals but didn't have any luck. the few I found were in poor condition and way over priced. My replicas look & work just fine and since my bike isn't a true numbers correct restoration I've no problem with it just looking stock. The main thing for me is it looks the way I want it to & it runs good. I don't care if someone nit-picks & says its not correct. If I can find pics. I took of the internals I'll try to post them.
Thanks. It looks like a completely different bike. How interesting . My 49 has a 52 frame. Wanna swap :) ? I really like the stock look. I wasn't a bike guy when I got it but I really like the lines. I need cash and think of selling but when I look at I almost can't. Hopefully it can pass it on to my son.

What do you have invested in those bars ? Wanna sell em? Trade ya for a chicken sandwich.
Hauula Pan

Post by Hauula Pan »

I've had this bike for over 30 years, also started out as a chopped up mess. Someone hacked the original frame to rake it & run an old Indian girder front end, it was such a mess I decided it was easier & safer to just use the 49 frame. Here is what the V-Twin spirals look like & a picture of my bike. Does look a lot like yours.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Mr. Mach 1,
Are you sure your frame is a '52? The tool box mount should be a horse-shoe shaped bracket attached only to the bottom frame rail.
But the real giveaway would be the lower front motor mount. On a '52--- and only on a '52--- the 'V' area between the motor mount boss and the frame tube will be more 'filled in', while the 'V' between the bosses is still deep.
I only know this because I have a '52 myself...
Hauula Pan

Post by Hauula Pan »

Mr. Mach 1, I couldn't get the picture of my bike to load with the pictures of the spirals so I'm hoping it will load with this post, looks very much like yours. It would be cool to see them together.
Mr Mach1

Post by Mr Mach1 »

Bigincher wrote:Mr. Mach 1,
Are you sure your frame is a '52? The tool box mount should be a horse-shoe shaped bracket attached only to the bottom frame rail.
But the real giveaway would be the lower front motor mount. On a '52--- and only on a '52--- the 'V' area between the motor mount boss and the frame tube will be more 'filled in', while the 'V' between the bosses is still deep.
I only know this because I have a '52 myself...
Hmmm. Maybe I spoke out of place. I was thinking of the horn mount. Mine has the rounded weld on tabs which I thought are later than 50. 52 popped into mind. I'm certainly no expert.
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Post by Bigincher »

Mr Mach1 wrote:I'm certainly no expert.
I'm no "expert" either, just trying to help.... :wink:
Hauula Pan

Post by Hauula Pan »

Bigincher is correct about the tool box strap. 1936-51 have the strap & 1952 has the horseshoe style. There are minor differences in the earlier straps also. 36-37 have 2 holes & 2 threaded rectangular blocks, 38-39 2 holes & 2 threaded rounded blocks, additional minor changes through the 40's & up to 51. also straps were different on some police models. These are all very subtle & I don't know all of them but the experts do I'm sure. Biggest thing here is you have a straight strap which is 51 or earlier.
Ace from Fate
Bikes: 1951 FL, 1960 FLH, 1961 FLH, 1968 FLH, 2009 Road King

Post by Ace from Fate »

Nash makes the best aftermarket internals I could find. https://nashmotorcycle.com/

Return to “Handlebars, Cables & Switches”