Throttle Control Spirals with M-74B

awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Throttle Control Spirals with M-74B

Post by awander »

OK, got teh carb buttoned up with the new Durable float, and it works well...a little TOO well...

I have never been able to adjust my stock throttle control spiral to let me both open the throttle completely, and close it completely.

On my '52. I have the "New Style" controls as shown below:
124b.jpg
I also have the 50665-49 bracket for the control coil as shown above.

My M-74B has what looks like the 27260-40/27265-40 throttle control lever on it.
37.jpg
If I adjust it to where I can close the throttle all the way, I only get about 50% throttle opening when i twist the grip toward me.

Does anyone have a photo of how this setup should be positioned?

(Oh, yeah, the "working too well" comment was because I tried to cheat, and adjusted it so the throttle was slightly open when the grip was twisted away from me-I took a test run across some wet grass, and discovered this...tried to stop as I would on the street, and managed to dump the bike on my left leg.....)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Re: Throttle Control Spirals with M-74B

Post by steve_wood »

Andy,

What is the total travel of your cable? Mine is about 13/16" which is enough to go from closed to fully open.

Maybe there is an issue with the barrel and spiral in the handgrip?

steve
awander
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

Hi Steve:

I will measure the travel later tonight, after the kids are in bed.

I should have mentioned in my original post that the throttle lever on the carb had been welded by someone-it looked like they did it to move the point where the cable attaches farther from the pivot point of the throttle shaft. I bent it up a few years ago to move the able attachment point closer to the center of the throttle shaft, which gave me more travel of the lever.

I should also say that the bike appears to have plenty of "get-up-and-go" even with the throttle only opening halfway-I am almost afraid of what it will be like if I get it open completely....
steve_wood

Post by steve_wood »

That modification would definitely limit the travel. Maybe just replace that part with a re-pop while you scout around for an OEM part.
awander
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

My wire moved just 7/16" from fully retracted to fully extended.

I figured I had nothing to lose, so I tried swapping the grip spiral over from the spark advance, and now I get about 13/16"!

It still doesn't open quite all the way, but it is about 3/4 or 7/8 of the way open-a big improvement!

Thanks for that measurement, Steve!
steve_wood

Post by steve_wood »

Andy,

Correcting that change to the throttle lever should get you to 100%

Let us know how it goes.

steve
Pomike
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by Pomike »

I had somewthing similar, and scrtched the opd noggin, but yes, it is just a matter of playing with it until it is OK. Man, I went round and round on that, 'til I remembered, it IS an old Harley. And the 1965's are about the most needing of fiddling ever. Mine would be OK, until the tanks were on, and I tried to snug everything up. It just seemed to defy reason, how much it got out of whack then. Now that I am used to it, it doesn't seem so strange. Good luck!
Mike
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Folks,

One diabolical confusion that I have encountered is if the setscrew for the control coil has missed its groove.
This allows for minor movement that can diminish the full throw of the throttle.

....Cotten
awander
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

if the setscrew for the control coil has missed its groove
Yeah, that would sure do it(or could, anyway).

I have 2 setscrews on each of my coils, so I would have to miss twice..:)
duoglide58

Post by duoglide58 »

Cotten's comment on set screws was applicable on my bars. After I totaled the bike in '99, I bought some repop handlebars from V-twin. They were junk out of the box, but I had boxed them up and moved to a new place before I discovered that they had one end too short and the holes drilled in all the the biggest POS I have seen. The set screws were located on the other side of the dimmer switch such that the cable end could be placed that far into the bars.

I need to replace the bars, but I got the timer cable working satisfactory with a bunch of grinding and re-drilling.
Doug

Return to “Handlebars, Cables & Switches”