Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 FL Panhead
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Throttle/spark/handlebar blues

Post by LittleAl »

Had a tangle today with my handlebars and the internals.

I have a few sets of bars and 2 OEM clamps. I also collected (via eBay) a few extra internals with and without cables. Being in "mock-up" mode (see my other thread) I wanted to get all the internals and bars set up correctly.

I picked the bars that I wanted to use, they are OEM but don't know what year. both sides have that big thick ferrule that the grip butts up against. The throttle side was no problem, it twisted but the inner cable didn't move. I took it apart and basically it just needed to be lubed well and the set screw to be replaced (it was missing) that holds the outer cable in place inside the bars. It also needed one of the little collers that the pin rides with inside the spiral. one hour and the throttle side is done and worked (although I am ordering new cables for both sides)

Spark side, whew, do I really need it, lol?

the bars had a completely different set up on that side, never seen one like it. It had a continuation of the bars past that chrome ferrule that was not the right size to put the internal into. it was the same size as the internal piece that SHOULD go into it (the one with the long oval slot for the "plunger" to go into with the pin & coller to go up into the spiral). sooooo, using an old one as a guide, I cut the end off (at the ferrule) then dremmeled the inside diameter of the bars (it was very, very close) to fit the piece in. I'm ordering the replacement part (NOSParts #56090-53) and hoping this is gonna work out as I expect. I have a good inner spiral and outer sleeve that came from a damaged set of eBay bars (correct, spark side).

think I'm on the right track with this one?
neilw
Bikes: 1995 Roadking(still brand new)
1991 HD springer
1959 pan (I'm reassembling)
1991 BMW 75RT.

Re: Throttle/spark/handlebar blues

Post by neilw »

Sounds like you have a real project on your hands. When you say OEM clamps do you mean that big clamp that holds the 2 halves of the handlebars together ,as in part #56104-52 ? Maybe someone has a mismatched set of bars stuck in there .

Neilw
LittleAl
Inactive member
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl »

yeah, the clamp is OEM, cast type, but that was separate. the bars were on a complete front end that I bought off a '49 EL but it wasn't 100% original
LittleAl
Inactive member
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl »

A picture is worth a 100 words right? for me, it might be worth 50,000 words and 87 threads! lol

The cut off, mangled part (the end with the slot for the "plunger) is what I used to ream out the interior of my bars to fit. I really just cleaned it up. tomorrow I'm ordering the replacement part from NOSParts. I have the rest, inner spiral and out sleeve, already. I hope I'm thinking right on this.

When I put in the replacement, I know I gotta get a snug fit, thinking maybe sweating it in too, just for security that it can't move.
IMG_1697.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

Post by panhead_kicker »

Hi Al,
How did this repair turn out? Did you end up welding the 56090-53 into the end of the bar?

Return to “Handlebars, Cables & Switches”