Handlebar Wire Cover on '49-'59

panster

Handlebar Wire Cover on '49-'59

Post by panster »

Shows how much I know,..
I thought it went the other way up,and thru top tree cover !!
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

I think panster is right that it should be installed the other way around.
VT

Post by VT »

Actually the part is illustrated in the Spare Parts Catalog shown as upside down. It took a couple of attempts for me to get it right.
Some minor trimming at the top before the plastic sleeve compresses up against the handlebar center-piece might be necessary. I had the sleeve upside down and was sure the Spare Parts Catalog was right. I posted a pic of the way it should assemble and the end of this topic.
Last edited by VT on Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
knucklehead

wire cover

Post by knucklehead »

it is upside down. the flange goes under the top tree's s.s. cover, but you are right, they are too long (at least for my '53's bars)
VPH-D

Post by VPH-D »

The flange goes to the bottom. I believe the original covers were kind of relieved at the top for handle bar clearance, at least every one I have is.
VPH-D
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

49 - 59 wire cover

Post by PanPal »

Mine fits nicely the opposite way you show in the picture. The flange is captured by the stainless plate. No bulge and stays put. There is nothing holding it in place the way it is in the picture. If the flange was meant to be against the handlebars, it would have a radius to match the contour of the bar.
PanPal
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

I had similar concerns when looking at what I had. As I recall, it did not look right until I had everything bolted together. The Repop cover may be slightly different than OEM also. I remember having to cram it in as well. It deformed the plastic to an hour glass shape. Then everything settled in nicely as the plate was bolted down. Your cover may be too short once it's positioned this way now that it has been cut to fit between the plate and the bars.
PanPal
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Forgot to log back in, but to add to the above. Notice the seam or ridge on the front and back of the cover ends as it nears the non flange side. The stainless top plate cutout matches the profile with the ridge. This would have been a plain oval cutout if the cover was not meant to pass through the top plate.
VT

Post by VT »

Thanks for the tip PanPal.
hbar047lz.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by VT on Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PanPal
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Looks good! It doesn't look to deformed either.
VT

Post by VT »

I didn't realize it until now, but I think I was trying to cram the sleeve through the bottom of the tree plate :!:
What happens to the surface of the s/s/ cover when you tighten the riser base bolts down? I seem to remember the s/s cover then bulges and would also push the nose of the sleeve further into the h.bar slot. Did you need to trim any off the nose to make things fit? You'd want the sleeve to be compressed some once everything is tightened.
PanPal
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

I believe you should have a casting boss sticking up at least the thickness of the flange so it does not bulge. Aren't the riser holes raised from the cast surface on the top of the tree?
VT

Post by VT »

True, I checked. The wire cover flange is thin, no thicker than the height of the cast riser bosses. I dunno where my head was at when I tried to fit it correctly the first time. Dyslexia I guess.
DAYTON
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by DAYTON »

Hi,
I'm restoring my 52 PANHEADm qnd this part is not present in the bike , Is it possible to buy it :?
VT

Post by VT »

Sure. Where ya' located France? Try www.wwag.com/ (OEM 56600-49) Not sure what their part number is.

Return to “Handlebars, Cables & Switches”