Handlebar switches: what size screws

peteh
Inactive member

Handlebar switches: what size screws

Post by peteh »

I'm trying to mount a horn button and dimmer switch to a new set of bars. I looked at quite a few bikes last night,seems panhead screws were the most common. Question is what size screws and can I use sheet metal screws or should I drill and tap for machine screws?
03Roadking
Bikes: 1962 Panhead Scooter

Re: Handlebar switches

Post by 03Roadking »

Hello
I just did the same thing last week I used machine screws I took a buffing wheel to the screw heads shines like chrome I don't think there is enough metal to tap them and I didn't want to take the chance trying and then be left with a large hole to fill
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
you can tap them 10/32 or 8/32 as the bars are about 1/8 thk, get stainless panhead machine screws and buff.
they also make button screws that look cool(allen), that is if looking stock is not a issue. dont put real long ones in, as the screw might stick in to far and hit wires. etc....
mbskeam
RussW
Bikes: 1961 FL
2007 Kaw. Vulcan 2000

Post by RussW »

These are 10/32- 1/4" Stainless. I like the way they look.
peteh
Inactive member

Post by peteh »

Thanks for the help fellas. I went with the 8-32x3/8 SS machine screws. Drilling into the bar was a little tricky,hard to get a good centerpunch mark so I could get the hole exactly where I wanted it. The bars are tough to drill-very hard steel. Definitely enough thickness there for the fine thread,the screws snugged up nicely. One step closer to the road.

Return to “Handlebars, Cables & Switches”