Handlebar: Need Help - Tough Problem

steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Handlebar: Need Help - Tough Problem

Post by steve_wood »

Here's the situation: Trying to reconstruct a proper handlebar complete with spark advance control. The handlebar is stock replated. The handgrips are stock. The screws to attach the grips to the bar are stock. I can get the throttle side together no problem.

But the darn spark advance side won't go. I have a spare hand grip so I pried out the screw. It works perfect on the throttle side, but it just won't go in the spark side. It looks like there's chrome on the threads inside the handlebar. Those threads are 3/4" by 16 and I don't have a tap that large (and I shudder to think of the cost). I tried cleaning out the threads with a scratch awl but no joy.

Any suggestions? I'm really concerned about damaging the handlebars - pretty hard to replace those....

steve
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

steve

that tap may not be as expensive as you think. did you try harbor freight tools?

i know it is chinese crap, but for a few uses it might be worth it.

john
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

Where does the end screw bind? At the beginning, in the middle? If it binds at the beginning, then take a 3" diameter (all the better to see it with) magnifying glass and focus in on the beginning thread and work on that small area with a needle file. Once you get the first thread opened up, use an (sacrificial) end screw (they're available repop, #3517 a pair from Kick-Start (616) 245-8991) with WD-40 and use that as a straight tap along with a 9/16 tip screwdriver (two fisted handle). Screwdriver burrs the slot ?, no wonder, try a thick blade #44511, 9/16 drag-link socket from Sears.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/v_10153_1260 ... 515x00001a
Still can't get it to go? Then you need to go to the deepest resource of straight taps (not tapered). A quick look found no 16-pitch straight taps, but you might want to give them a call over at MSC. They carry USA and thankfully import versions as well, sometimes.
http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm?&KNC-T7L391316886
Wait a minute..........here's one :
http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVSM?P ... 0056848991
pried out the screw
If pried is the correct term for what you did, it may have distorted that first thread.
steve_wood

Post by steve_wood »

Thanks guys. I'm watching a few items on flea-bay. Might be able to pick up something relatively quickly and cheaply. We'll see how it goes.

The screw itself is undamaged. I "pried" it out of the rubber part of the handle so there wasn't any damage involved there. It threads into the throttle side easily by hand so it's good to go.

I'd definitely like to get a better screw driver for this particular operation. I love my collection of specialty tools. You pay up front but they make your life easier over the long run.

steve
steve_wood

Post by steve_wood »

If there's one thing I like better than buying the right tool for the job, it's making the right tool!

This was an old cold chisel that should be replaced anyway for something safer. Now it's found a valuable second life.

FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Good job on the home-made tool Steve!

Now, give the screw, the one that will always be used in the left bar end, a light coat of jeweler's rouge or VERY fine lapping compound. Make sure that it is started without cross threading, and start slowly working it back and forth through the chrome on the inside of the bar threads. Put a breaker bar on your new tool, with effort and patience you should have it spinning in and out by hand in short order. Make sure to completely clean all the Clover Brand compound from both surfaces before final installation

mike
steve_wood

Post by steve_wood »

Allright! Got my hands on a 3/4 by 16 tap and it cleaned out the threads nicely. The screw now goes in effortlessly.

I ordered the tap and a 7/16 allen wrench from MSC. The tap itself was $16.56 and it was made in Bosnia! I guess that's better than China, the piece looks to be nice quality...

Pretty impressed with MSC. Good selection and for $10 shipping i basically got the goods in two business days. JP Cycles could learn a thing or two from them...

Alls well that ends well.

steve
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

steve,

glad to hear you fixed the problem but a little lapping or valve grinding compound on the screw would have done the same thing. Make sure you remember where you put that tap, ten years from now, if you ever need it again, you'll be scratching your head and saying "I know I have one of those around here someplace"!

mike

Return to “Handlebars, Cables & Switches”