Internal Pull Throttle

PanRider
Bikes: 1962 Duo-Glide Panhead
2005 Road King Classic

Internal Pull Throttle

Post by PanRider »

Bought a set of bars for my 62 pan. They came with the pull throttle that I need for my Bendix. But noticed the throttle didn't work. Took it apart, cleaned off all the grease. It appeared as if it hadn't been apart in a long time. Not sure the history. The throttle wasn't working for a couple reasons. The groove in the grip that the washer runs thru has a welding bead not allowing the washer to slide by. Also, the groove itself isn't wide enough for the washer. Washer runs smoothly thru the advance grip. I'm assuming the grip is after market. What's baffling is how long it looks like it has been in the bars. It could never have worked like this.
So I took it to my welder to see if he could help me out with it. He said by the time he got rid of all the tack welds the piece would probably be destroyed. He didn't seem anxious to work on it. I figure I am SOL with this piece. So I've got a couple questions: 1. Do I take a drill and drill thru the half dozen spot welds, take out the grooved piece and file or grind it so the washer slides freely? And if that doesn't work - 2. Where can I get just the grip with a pull spiral? I had one old parts guy tell me to save the headaches and just go with an external throttle. But I really don't want to do that. I saw on ebay a grip but it was after market as well and they wanted $70 for it. But figure I'll be in the same situation and out $70. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Re: Internal Pull Throttle

Post by RUBONE »

Pull throttles were used on Harley lightweight bikes.
Contact Duane Taylor here for a working pull throttle.
http://www.taylorclassiccycles.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PanRider
Bikes: 1962 Duo-Glide Panhead
2005 Road King Classic

Re: Internal Pull Throttle

Post by PanRider »

RUBONE, thanks. I figure I'll see what I can do to what I have. What do you think, does it sound possible taking it apart and filing it down? I figure if it doesn't work, now I've got a place I can get a replacement. Thanks. I appreciate the post.
Kim

Return to “Handlebars, Cables & Switches”