To much play in throttle

chuck 56 pan
Bikes: 1956 FLH, 1969 FL, 2014 RoadKing

To much play in throttle

Post by chuck 56 pan »

When I got my 56, The internal throttle was horrible, lots of play and it did not operate smoothly at all. I purchased a kit from Vtwin for the correct year bars. The throttle is smooth now but it still has alot of play,infact I only get about 3/4 throttle. The play is in the first 1/4 of movement. the outter cable fastners are in place, the adjustment is correct. there must be a miss match of parts with the internal or the carb linkage. Any ideas what Im doing wrong? Thanks in advance. Chuck
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: To much play in throttle

Post by 58flh »

DO you have enuff cable thru the carb. stop screw?---If running a linkert or bendix!---If not try your cable ADJ. at the handle, you should be able to take-up slack there.----Richie
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Post by 1950Panhead »

Original throttle has no play, move grip and wire moves.
Do you have internal cables and original cable bracket on top motor mount?
Check internal cable is tight in plunger.
Jerry
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Back up boys, I just have to add to this. First off were talking Chinese junk here. I have had problems with every after market spiral I have ever bought. Whether springer or glide. The problem is, you can't see the problem with the grip on. It has to do with the length of the spiral against the stop screw in the end of the handle bar. If you remove the grip and slide the tube back and forth and see how much space there is in between the end nut and the tube. The space has to just be enough for the tube to turn freely. I made some spacers and threw them in the surface grinder until I had it perfect. Hope this helps, Bob L
chuck 56 pan
Bikes: 1956 FLH, 1969 FL, 2014 RoadKing

Post by chuck 56 pan »

Robert Luland wrote:Back up boys, I just have to add to this. First off were talking Chinese junk here. I have had problems with every after market spiral I have ever bought. Whether springer or glide. The problem is, you can't see the problem with the grip on. It has to do with the length of the spiral against the stop screw in the end of the handle bar. If you remove the grip and slide the tube back and forth and see how much space there is in between the end nut and the tube. The space has to just be enough for the tube to turn freely. I made some spacers and threw them in the surface grinder until I had it perfect. Hope this helps, Bob L
Robert, can you help me out a little more, I do not have a stop screw at the end of my bars. the outter throttle cable housing locks inside the bars with a small set screw, the inner cable wire attaches to the inner spiral inside the bar and then the outter tube that slides over the bars and engages the spiral is all there is on my setup. I must be missing some parts. thanks Chuck
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

chuck56pan,
Does your setup have a chrome ring with two screws holding the grip sleeve? There are several types of throttles used over the years, do you know if yours is CORRECT for '56? Otherwise it is hard to help you without a picture of what you have!
Several things can cause excessive play in a throttle.
Cable stop ring loose-the spool on the outer cable either not tight on the cable (some aftermarket ones are glued and not soldered!)
Stop ring not tight in bars-the setscrew not tight or spool is machined too wide for the set screw to hold!
Grip sleeve length incorrect-see Bobs post above
Cable flex-this is a big one. Many of the aftermarket cables use a cheap generic outer cable which flexes and stretches allowing excess movement
Inner Cable-again some aftermarket units use an undersized and flexible cable. Piano wire is the best!
Grip sleeve grooves- Some aftermarket units are known to be machined wider than stock, allowing excess movement of grip with no movement of cable.
So dig in, you have plenty to check!
Robbie

Return to “Handlebars, Cables & Switches”