pogo seat question

davethefuelguy
Inactive member
Bikes: 04 Ultra
04 Custom Bagger
58 Panhead

pogo seat question

Post by davethefuelguy »

I am new to the panhead thing and have a question. I recently bought a 58 panhead with an older hardtail frame. I also got the original swing arm frame with the deal. I didn't like the seat that was on it so I ordered the pogo seat setup. When I tried to install it, it wont go in the frame. It looks like there is a sleeve in the tube starting 10 inches from the top (seat bushing). It does fit perfectly in the swing arm frame. Has anyone ever seen this or can you explain this to me? Thanks. I'm sure I'll have more questions in the future.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: pogo seat question

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Fuel guy,
Are you sure its a sleeve? It could be the remains of an old pogo stick that is rusted tight and stuck in the frame tube and was sawn off flush with the top of frame.

Clean the top of it real good, you might try running a big flat file flush across the top surface or use a flat sanding block to see if there are 2 different types of metal in there. The seat bushing is bronze or brass and the smaller diameter old pogo shaft inside it will be steel.

If you poke around a little deeper with a long piece of thin welding rod or something, maybe with a short pointed hook bent on the end of it, I'll bet you will find the rest of the old pogo stick stuck way down in there, the springs and things.

If there is an ancient pogo stick rusted inside that frame tube you can dig them out, but it ain't easy!

good luck,

mike
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Post by panz4ever »

The proper amount of heat does wonders to relieve metal to metal parts that should not be. Had to do that on mt 49 because the seat post was stuck in the frame...more like rusted in place.
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

bushing ID is 1-3/16 or 1.187, if a post is stuck in there then it will be about 1/8 smaller
davethefuelguy
Inactive member
Bikes: 04 Ultra
04 Custom Bagger
58 Panhead

Post by davethefuelguy »

I don't think its any part of an old seat. It starts 10 inches from the the top and goes to the bottom of the frame. Looking with a flashlight it looks like a piece of pipe. The bottom of the frame is missing the plate where the nut holds the pogo shaft so that's where I will have to do a little grinding I think
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Sounds like your frame may have broken at the bottom of the seat post, a common problem, and then was repaired by having a sleeve installed in the post hole. It is probably welded in and may by a PITA to remove . With persistence and care it should come out. Good luck on it.
Robbie
StueyC
Inactive member
Bikes: 60 FL Pan, 2011 Wide Glide, 49 BSA, 40 Ariel, 47 Excelsior (British)

Post by StueyC »

I agree with Robbie, you can almost guarantee a sleeve has been inserted as a backing for weld repair. My frame has had the same done but it's not a problem (yet) as I have a spring seat fitted.

StueyC

Return to “Seat”