Lower seat

mcraeav
Inactive member
Bikes: 1962 Panhead

Lower seat

Post by mcraeav »

Is there a brand of a seat that looks somewhat original that would mount to the frame of my 62 FL that would lower the seating height?
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Re: Lower seat

Post by steve_wood »

That's kinda tough. Pretty hard to look stock if it's directly on the frame. But if it's all about rider comfort and safety, then go for it. Take a look at the J&P catalog or google the corbin and mustang websites.
kevsett
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by kevsett »

I'd just settle for something pre-65 that looks at least somewhat "period" in the style/spirit of stock seat, that mounts to the frame.
62wild1
Bikes: 1962 panhead, 1999 Wideglide, 2008 Ultra Classic and a few other brands.

Post by 62wild1 »

I saw somwhere a guy machined a plug that had the loop on top for the seat pin that slid into the tube after he removed the seat post assembly. I believe it was out of brass. I never did see what it looked like with the seat mounted but depending what you want for seat height you could make it whatever height you want.
awander
Bikes: '52 FL
'64 FLH

Post by awander »

You could also shorten the seatpost by screwing the rod further in to the top portion.

One of mine was shorter than the other, and it was due to this.
mcraeav
Inactive member
Bikes: 1962 Panhead

Post by mcraeav »

Thanks; I found a Corbin seat that they say will mount to a 1965 frame. That should be the same as my 62, right? New to this Panhead but learning.

Also; is it normal for my foot shifter to not want to return to a neutral position when I shift? I move it back with my foot each shift. The linkage seems OK.
MontgomeryLittle
Inactive member
Bikes: A few

Post by MontgomeryLittle »

I maybe mistaken and it would'nt be the first or last time, but I think the 1962 frame was used from 1958 to 1964.

Mustang has some nice enough seats if thats what your looking for. The section list from 1958 til 1984. So pay attention to what your reading. Page 26-31.
http://www.mustangseats.com/virtual_cat ... ley09.html

All that said its not impossible to make other year model seats fit. Also some seats don't exactly fit what they are advertised to fit. Some might be close enough a little modding can get you there. Some may give you fits.

And yes my shifter returns to a "neutral" position after each shift. If I understand you correctly.
lockdoc
Inactive member
Bikes: 65 Panhead in a 70 FLH frame

Post by lockdoc »

The 65 frame was changed to accomodate the larger battery and starter. Up to 64 the frame had a basically even slope front to rear. The 65 up starts to parallel the ground at the seat\battery area.

Return to “Seat”