Buddy seat: how to mount

64duo
Bikes: 2001 Road King w/sidecar
1947 Servi-car

Buddy seat: how to mount

Post by 64duo »

My 64 FLH came with a solo seat and nice buddy seat. My wife, ....(bless her heart)...., would enjoy a jount on the back of the Duo-glide if I could figure out how to mount the Buddy. Palmers and the other books do a poor job of explaining all the needed components with springs, yokes, brackets etc. I'm hoping someone in this group of experts can either help, send photos, or lead me in the right direction for a correct installation. All I have to start with is the seat. Any takers, please?
Jonathan
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: How to mount the buddy seat

Post by Cotten »

Awe cheeses. If you only hadn't asked how to do it "correct".

Within the realm of AMCA judges, the blow-up in the parts manual is the only thing they can hold against you.

However, if you would like the convenience of swapping seats easily without liberated hardware bouncing about, just capture 1/4" bolts with shaved nuts to form studs protruding down from the Buddy mounts on the seat. Loctite 'em good after you have found their sweetspot for installation, and re-tightened.

And capture the spring clips to the seat tee with 1/4" bolts with shaved heads.

This reduces the 'chinese puzzle' to three nuts from beneath.
Lpete

Post by Lpete »

Hi;
The bolt pattern should be the same for both the solo and the buddy. You can use the same t-bar for both. Four at back and one up front,no need to take t-bar commpletely off. Helper springs are a must unless you and your wife are under 185# combined. Going out on a limb here.... V-Twin has a helper spring kit that is very complete and of good quality (the one i got was anyway) $125.00 or so. it has good instructions for installation also. You will also need the retainer clips (not sure what the official name is, extra charge of course) for under the seat to keep the helper spring bar in place. If you have a palmers' it will show what they look like. The whole deal is pretty easy to figure out once you have the parts in hand. J+P Vintage cataloge will carry all of this also. Good luck and hang onto that gal!! Those that even tolerate our obsessions are rare and those that actually wish to participate are even rarer.
64duo
1947 Servi-car

Post by 64duo »

Wow guys thanks for the replies.
Cotton, I apologizzze for using the word correct, the actual verbs, should have been simple & easy.
The secret as Lpete lets on, is a willing wife, and I am gonna need helper springs, I'm 240 alone. Any close photos of what the setup looks like would be handy.
Regards Jonathan
59Panman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1959 Panhead FLH

Post by 59Panman »

Man, what a coincidence. I just installed my buddy seat on my 59 and took the wife and my daughter for their first rides on a Harley just this afternoon. They both loved it. My wife made the comment of what such a soft ride it was.

Good tip Cotten with mounting the studs on the seat. I was pondering the same question.

Drive safe.

ozwick
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

The Parts Book will always be your best reference for parts and assembly, although some catalogs use the same blow-ups.

If you have a bare buddy seat, you will need at least the 52551-36 'nose' bracket, most of the auxillary spring clip kit that bolts to the seat tee, and the entire byzantine assist spring assembly that includes the joke, springs, frame bracket(s), and spring studs.

You may be able to get away with generic fasteners, however you will only bust your knuckles once if you start out with proper 'carriage' bolts and finishes.

If your resources allow, I would suggest buying the nosebracket, clip kit, and spring assembly kit intact from either your local aftermarket dealer, or order direct from Kick-Start (616) 245-8991

You may also want the 52586-36 bracket and screws, and passenger footpegs...etc.,......etc.

(The shaved-fastener short-cut I mentioned eliminates only two plates ( 52543-36) in the spring-clip kit.)
64duo
1947 Servi-car

Post by 64duo »

OK, .....geeze I am a dumbsh-t. It is all coming back to me. This morning I was sorting through the box of spares that came with this bike that I haven't been into in 8 months and lo-and-behold, lookie here.
seat2.jpg
This even has a couple of the square head 5667 bolts. Looks like I'm missing 52543-36, (seat bar plates) and 1 accessory cover for the spring yoke end. I'm in much better shape $$ than I thought.
seat1.jpg
Now I just gotta get with it and figure out how the unit bolts on ..... and take the wife for a ride!
It's a nice day for a ride, I hope I get it done.
Jonathan 64 flh
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Although I was thinking rigid for some reason (and edited my last reply), you really don't need those plates to make it function!

Looks like it is all there to me. Although your wife will want somewhere to put her feet.
panzerama
Inactive member

Post by panzerama »

Here's how it looks on the seat. Cotten is correct if you care about AMCA judging, everything mounts with studs threaded into the seat pan and fastened with nuts. The "correct" studs have hex countersinks so you can hold the stud while tightening the nut so the stud doesn't turn in far enough to poke you in the butt. The square head bolts are the ones toward the front that hold the aux spring brackets to the seat cross bar. the middle set of bolts hold the whole thing together and bolt to the T-Bar. The rear set of bolts should acually have wing nuts so you can quickly release the aux spring for solo riding. Mine kept falling off so I use nylock clinchers for everyday riding. Make sure you put the heavy aux spring clip toward the top, it carries the load, the thinner clip goes down and is just there to hold the aux spring bar in place. There should also be a heavy reinforcing bar above the seat cross bar.
hope this helps.
mike
64duo
1947 Servi-car

Post by 64duo »

Look what I found from our friend to the north (canada)
58panbuddy.jpg
http://www.ruiter.ca/mc/info/58buddyseat.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

good picture info here also
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
panzerama
Inactive member

Post by panzerama »

Well there ya go, nothing like the original instruction sheet. I wonder how many times the narrative in those instructions mentions "Death or serious injury" like all the disclaimers that come with today's accessories. I'll bet that in 1958 they didn't need as many lawyers as engineers to write the instructions.

Did you know that the original Buddy Seats were banned in a bunch of states because they were not considered safe?, the tandem seat was the only one approved in all states. How would like to figure out how to mount that mess with the extra set of handle bars?

Thanks Perry
64duo
1947 Servi-car

Post by 64duo »

Well, heres another question. The Spring yoke HOOK (52586-36), what role does it have in the buddy seat setup on a 64, is this a needed component? NOS parts has them, but kindy pricey without knowing its purpose.
Jonathan
panzerama
Inactive member

Post by panzerama »

not quite sure about that part number you listed, there were several versions of the hook. it goes on the back fender so you can stow the aux spring yoke when it is disconnected from the seat (softer ride, lower seating position when riding solo). If you keep the spring yoke hooked to the seat you don't need it.

The number you listed looks like it might be for a rigid frame bike, similar to part number 52585-41 which is also for a hardtail.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Panzerama!

I don't think I have ever seen a seatpan like the one in the pic you posted. Is it a latemodel?
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Panzerama,

The rear bolts with the wing nuts should have a hole in the end of the thread for a cotter pin. The wing nut may loosen, but it should never be able to fall off.

I also believe the nose bracket has spacers between the seat and bracket. You may see that you have more exposed threads on your front studs protruding from the end of the nuts.

Return to “Seat”