Buddy seat / backrests

azpaul50
Bikes: *

Buddy seat / backrests

Post by azpaul50 »

If you ride double on an old buddy seat you find that there is very little room despite the old '63 ads showing skinny people smiling as they ride. In reality, the actual rider is pushed way forward and the passenger is trying to hold on for dear life! Not much to be done about that. So, I'm putting a "correct" backrest on the chrome seat rail that is higher than the top of the rail. I also have some handles coming (need rechroming), all for my girlfriend to "hang on". I've also seen a lower backrest pad that seems to cover the back of the chrome rail itself. You end up with two pieces forming the backpad of the seat. I'm looking for the lower piece right now but wonder if it will interfere with the higher backrest mounts. Can you have both on there at the same time? Neither backpads show in the 1960 Accessory Catalog. Anyone know?
64duo
Bikes: 2001 Road King w/sidecar
1947 Servi-car

Re: Buddy seat / backrests

Post by 64duo »

I've seen them both together before.

Jonathan
azpaul50
Bikes: *

Re: Buddy seat / backrests

Post by azpaul50 »

Yeah, I had seen that one. I already have an upper rest. Actually, ebay has been flooded with them recently (uppers). I've also seen a lower pad but wasn't looking for one at that time. They are apparently harder to find. I wish they had shown a back photo in that ebay ad. The pad seems crammed in there. I suppose I'll get one if I can find one. Thank you for your help!

I received the safety handles I mentioned earlier and they don't fit on later buddy seats if the seat has a back rail. The bolt pattern fits perfectly (same seat pan bolts as back rail) but apparently, they only go on earlier buddy seats without a skirt or one where the skirt has pre-fab holes for the handles. Of course, I had a batch going in of car parts for rechroming so I threw the handles in before checking fitment. So, anyone looking for a freshly chromed set of these handles.

Return to “Seat”