65 Electra Glide Seat Alternatives?

dltimmons
Bikes: 1965 Electraglide
2011 FLHXXX

65 Electra Glide Seat Alternatives?

Post by dltimmons »

Hello All, I am brand new to the site, and just got my first Panhead.

Been riding for 45 years, have had 9 different Harleys over that time, but this one is all new to me.

I am somewhat vertically challenged. My inseam is only 30" and on top of that, I wear a below knee prosthetic for a left leg.

I just got a 65 Electro Glide and it has what, I think, is called the deluxe buddy seat on it. It is a post mounted, spring style saddle, and is a long stretch to the ground for me.

I have been researching as well as I can, via the internet, and have seen what appear to be frame mounted saddles, which are much lower than the post mounted saddles on some of these bikes. But haven't been able to get any real information on these as far as where to purchase, what mounting hardware needs to be used, etc..

If anyone can give me any help with this, I would really appreciate it. Getting the seat closer to the ground, would really be a big help for me, in enjoying riding this great bike.

Thank you in advance,

DT
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: 65 Electra Glide Seat Alternatives?

Post by 1950Panhead »

If you mount a seat on the frame the ride will be harsher.
How much travel does the seat have left when you sit on it?
If you sit high you can install softer springs in the post, that will drop the seat and get your feet closer to the ground.
Jerry
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

The '65 uses a deluxe buddy seat which is very thick. Early type buddy seats (VL, Knuckle, Early Pan) are approximately 2 inches thinner but still on the post. So you get the good ride with a lower seat position. A solo seat is also thinner and lower. Any aftermarket seat designed for use on a '65-early '80s Panhead or Shovelhead is a direct bolt on. Do you ride two-up or solo?
Robbie
1951 adam
Bikes: 1951 panhead , 1995 dyna

Post by 1951 adam »

There's nothing that can compare to the ride of a post mounted seat. Jerry's right you can try to adjust the seat springs, but it's more in relation to your weight, but you can tweek it a bit. The problem is how thick that buddy seat is. You can probably be very comfortable with a solo seat, but of course 2 up is out. A frame mounted FX seat would be a good option , but you loose that floating on air ride.
Adam
Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

Don't seem like it'd be hard to drop the stocker a couple inches. Or get a big girl to ride the back, that should help.
dltimmons
Bikes: 1965 Electraglide
2011 FLHXXX

Post by dltimmons »

Thank you all for the advice.

I am thinking that I will look into getting a Solo saddle for this bike and trying that. Riding a passenger on this bike, isn't a concern for me. The bike is presently set up with buddy pegs, but, they are not mounted in the mid location where they would be usable from the buddy seat. They are mounted towards the rear where the swing arm attaches, and would only be useable from a pad on the luggage rack over the fender.

I plan on removing them anyway. If I want to take a passenger, I'll put her on the back of the trike.

One other thing I am looking into, is to mount modern rubber on the wheels. The bike as I bought it, has an old set of Continentals on it, that have to be at least 25 years old. They are a lot higher profile than the modern tires, and I am thinking that the newer profile tires would drop the ride height about an inch, and should make the bike handle better.

The guy I got the bike from is 72 years old and hadn't ridden the bike for the last 10 years. So either way, I have to put some new rubber on her before I ride very far.

Any thoughts on this change, good/bad, would also be appreciated.

If anyone has a post mount Solo saddle, black, in good shape they would consider selling, please let me know.

Ride Safe,

DT
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Ditmmons---The continentals are a very good tire for your bike!---I have a Rigid & a frame mounted seat. A frame mounted seat on a swing-frame Wont beat you up like a rigid would!.When I sit on my bike The center of gravity is very low!-& when stopped my knees are bent as if in my dining table chair!.A SOLO on the pogo with the rear spring set-up Will put you very close to being on the frame & you will have COMFORT when riding!.---Thats a VERY NICE Machine you have there!-Good-LUCK!----RICHIE
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

DT!

This was my favorite alternative seat in the early 80s:
eightys2.JPG
...and still is.

....Cotten
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

DT, If you go with a shorter tire you may drag in the corners. The original style tires were a bit taller..
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

There is a seat set up for every rider.
lower seat height.jpg
Scrap
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Post by Scrap »

PanPal wrote:There is a seat set up for every rider.
lower seat height.jpg

Wow, there really is an ass for every seat!
Biker bum
Bikes: 1948 Pan, 1947 Indian, 1986 Sporty, 1999 FLSTC, 1997 Springer white&red, 2000 Heritage Springer

Post by Biker bum »

When I had my '67 FLH I used a seat from an early Superglide, made the seat height nice and low. Worked for me! BTW thats a beautiful '65 you have there!! BB
Mose
Bikes: 1951 Panhead

Post by Mose »

If you decide to change seats, I'm very interested in buying the one you have.

Return to “Seat”