1965 Buddy Seat Configuration (Stowed) Part 1

azpaul50
Bikes: *

1965 Buddy Seat Configuration (Stowed) Part 1

Post by azpaul50 »

This will probably be a long thread should anyone care to get involved. Sand is blowing outside so today is seat research day. I have two buddy seats with fold-down springs, both purported as off '65 FLs, sitting side-by-side on the couch. As usual, they don't match. Blondie took off for Colorado to do grannie stuff (with a pocket full of my $$$ to make sure grandpaul gets credit for buying those kids something "good") so I have the run of the house! Child bribery is a great way to get multiple things done...from a distance!! The bike, unfortunately, doesn't fit through the front door with the sidecar. Darn! I searched back threads and found mixed discussion as conversation meandered from older buddy seats like on rigids to newer configurations. I am focused specifically on the 1965 type which is different than even on my '63 for auxillary springs and different again from seats on later shovelheads. My end game is to end up with one correctly configured seat with springs down through a frame cover like the red/white '65 barnfind in the photo gallery. I have the frame cover now and it is perfect! Now... I have two types of spring clips that anchor the stowed springs in the folded position under the seat. The parts book, pg 68, item 35 lists two choices, 52586-65 (65-67) and 52586-68 (68 - ). The -65 is a fairly plain "L" bracket with anchor slots cut sideways in the long end of the "L". The spring ends slide in from the sides and are secured by the spring end bolts, held in place by tension. They do NOT, however, look anything like the item shown in the parts book. That item looks like the -68 type. The "L" is larger and has a bent tab at one end. The spring bolts simply sit into a center hole in each clip (no slots). So, I'm going with the -65 but adding pictures for posterity Blondie took the camera with her so don't ask where these photos came from (below). If I'm wrong, somebody tell me now! The next part comes later tonight... it's TV dinner time! - AZP
52586-68.jpg
52586-65.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Re: 1965 Buddy Seat Configuration (Stowed) Part 1

Post by Cotten »

Paul!

Second attachment seems right.

(Sorry I left the shop early, and can't take a photo of an assembly.)

....Cotten
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Paul,
If you are looking at a parts book printed post '67 the picture will likely be only of the most current part. Do you have a '65 book?
This is the '65 book Buddy Seat page;

azpaul50

Post by azpaul50 »

The book I have was copyrighted in 1984 covering 1958 to 1968. That is really good to know. I've bought things before based on those drawings and it was the wrong thing. That's why I question even the simplest differences trying to index various sources of information to figure out what applies and what doesn't. Adding to the confusion, '65 was a transition year so some things changed mid-stream. Now I'm finding that due to some "updates" on this bike by the previous owner, some stock items no longer fit. I still haven't tackled getting those rear crash bars back on but at first look, something was changed with the mufflers and shocks. In part 2, I'll try to figure out how the individual seat springs go in coincidence with that frame cover. There's is some sort of tie rod with support brackets only for '65 thru '67 that connects the springs at the bottom. As to how the whole rig would be secured to the frame and/or cover, I have no idea yet but haven't begun my paper search first. As for adding something new, apparently only the -68 has been re-popped in chrome. Man.... what a light bulb! Cotten, yup, I'll use the second type... just needs a little touch up. Thanks! - AZP
azpaul50

Post by azpaul50 »

WOW! Not only does mine show only the newer spring clips, the entire detail in the lower quarter of the illustration has been replaced by a seat back pad detail. It is only about 85% matching. Boy!

Return to “Seat”