Seatpost springs

white1j0
Bikes: '02 Fatboy, '47 Knuckle, '52Pan

Seatpost springs

Post by white1j0 »

Anyone ever use the heavy duty seat post springs from V-twin, I weigh 170# and the springs that came with the post bottom out, Thanks Whitey
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: Seatpost springs

Post by Bigincher »

What you need are the springs that Dave Croft makes. Give him a call at (440) 458-8813.
panhead george
Bikes: "48 panhead,"06 streetglide,
"97 sportster

Post by panhead george »

Something else you could also use are die springs that are used in stamping dies. They last forever and being a flat wound spring give you more travel with out coil binding and come in assorted spring rates. Just be sure to match up the i.d and o.d specs and all will be fine. Most good industrial hardware stores will carry them and they are reasonable in price. I am 215# and never bottom out yet have a plush ride. Better than the air shocks on my late model. No seal stiction with a coil spring.
mark59
Bikes: 39 UL bobber,78 FX wide glide, 99 FLHT, and 48 U with sidecar project

Post by mark59 »

even'n folks, i know several folks who are very pleased with crofts set up, i used the heavy oem harley spring and this has worked very well for me.....185 lbs, i bought mine from an old gent at an AMCA meet in oley pa. this guy has thousands of oem style hardware. V-twin springs have a bad rep in my area....and i have the valve spring to put under the seat but never did it cause i have never bottomed out my seat yet! and yes i have hit some nasty rough roads and was surprised how that seat can wail your butt as you're trying to get the bike under control, i also made hardware to move my seat rearward 2 inches....i'm over six feet and need all the leg room i can get.

Return to “Seat”