Paint replication work

Northman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1958 FL,1958 FLH, 1964 FL

Paint replication work

Post by Northman »

Hello, Does anyone have some info on replicating the oem paint style of back when. Not talking about colors, I mean the finished result of how it laid on the sheet metal and actually looked. There is a guy in our area that could do it several years back. I've lost touch with him and the paint products themselves have changed so much I don't know if its possible. If anyone has some info please pm or post. THANKS!

Northman
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: Paint replication work

Post by 1950Panhead »

The factory used a single coat of dark red primer followed by two coats of color.
PPG still sells single stage enamel with or without catalyst (catalyst makes the paint tougher).
This will result in a finish close to original.
When using a painter request this and explain why, not used often, otherwise your painter will think your cheap and taking short cuts.

Cars and bikes today are painted with base coat, clear coat paint systems which give a higher gloss, greater durability then single stage enamel but has a different look then original panhead paint.
Multiple coats of primer are also used today all adding to total paint thinkness.

Jerry
Northman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by Northman »

Jerry! T
Thanks for the info. I've used ppg products in the past. I'm the painter and know I'm cheap! LOL
The info. you gave is exactly what I kneed to know. thanks!
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

One thing is for sure. Any paint job you do could be considered over restored in comparison to what the factory sent out the door. If you pick up a piece of sand paper, you've already over done it. Bob L
Northman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by Northman »

Yeah, I realize that no matter what I do will be over board. I just don't want the finished results to look sooooo out of place that it actually looks shity.... if that makes any sense.

Next question is, where on earth do I find a chip or the modern code for Calypso Red? Birch white is still available or locateable I presume? I was going with the black but changed my mind due to all my bikes are black and I need a change.

I just spent almost an hour dinking around on line and made a phone call to a disconected number and gave up, just because of dead ends or not having the knowledge of where to find a source. If anyone can help out I'd be greatfull.

Thanks,
Northman
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

I hate paint.

But a call to John Pierce at "Coloright" (hope I spelled that right) may help: 603-942-5610

Sorry no email, because he called even though I am hearing impaired.

I hate telephones, too.

....Cotten
Northman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by Northman »

COTTEN!
Thanks,
just spoke to John and got the details. Stand up guy.
I can now continue with my wheel hubs.
Phones? I never had a cell untill last year. I held out as long as I could.....

Northman
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Northman!

I still have never been in a cell.

...Cotten
Robert Luland
Bikes: 1922 J, 1922 JD, 1937 ULH, 1946FL 1948FL, 1957FL, 1960FLH, 1965XLCH, 1995 FLHT

Post by Robert Luland »

Northman, I don't know how much detail you went into with John but here's one of the problems your going run into. Way back when Cotton was knee high to a grass hopper and couldn't get into a dumpster without help the factory didn't have the gloss that the new polyurethanes have now. I know the look you're looking for. If you go with John's paint he sell Dupont Chroma-One. This is incredible stuff but if you want to get that out of the factory look. Your Dupont dealer can sell you a flattener to mix with the paint to lay off the gloss. Bob L
Northman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by Northman »

Bob!
I didn't ask him about that, but yes I'm going to want to flatten it out for sure. Thanks for the info. I was wondering about that. If I went with a base /clear, I wonder... can it be added to the clear? I'm guessing I'm about a month- month and a half out from paint work, I just want to get it together now rather than picking my nose wondering which end is up. John gave me a time frame to expect his product based on shipping etc. good to know.

Cotten!
you were a cell at one time! ha.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Folks,

I don't think we should confuse "opaque" original paint formulae with "flat".

They just weren't "wet shiney" with clearcoat.

And Northman!

Even if we take the controversial life-starts-at-conception approach, it still takes two cells (parthenogenesis would produce only females).

For years I assumed a cell phone was where Superman changed clothes.

....Cotten
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Northman----The guy that paints our stuff uses PPG-Products!--PPG has a computer, in his shop guys would bring a pic. of a color & he can match dead-on---HE also does 15yr. fades to math color on the rest of the car instead of shooting the whole car! Paints have come along way in the last 15yrs. I know for a fact that all the hi-end shops in my area are using(PPG-Paint & Primer---&Dupont Matierals to cover anything. The Paint actually comes in small bottles-(its POWDER)-then the cat.+hardener-fisheye & Peel is added,,He shoots a piece of metal dries it then hits it with the Gloss(clearcoat) & you take it outside & see what it really looks like in real light, not a florecsent bulb. At this point if something needs to be changed to achieve a certain color, A new 1oz batch is made & the Comp. remembers how much purple ,black-etc. was used in the prior mix & you can make changes accordingly!.(plus if you have a custom color the computer stores the color with a # & name you give it! SO if you dent it up --you alrady have the mix on file.(Good-Luck)---Richie
Northman
Site sponsor
Site sponsor

Post by Northman »

Richie,
Thanks for more info. it certainly is more than expected. I have an account at the local ppg outfit but they can never help unless I have a number... so it seems. They are less than helpfull, but I use a lot of keystone AU because of the price. I really like the 3 in one primer. At this point I don't have anything to color match, I need the color. I'll be in touch.

Northman

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”