'65 paint

Rain Man
Bikes: 1965 FL, 1983 FLH, 2010 electra glide

'65 paint

Post by Rain Man »

When I went to paint the tanks on the '65, I noticed that none of the pictures of any repainted tanks ever got the line right. I searched for anyone who might have a copy of the pattern from H.D.-no luck. Depending on how accurate you want to be, the best method I could come up with was to find as many original photos from as many different angles as possible. Then, take a set of calipers and measure the tank emblem in the picture. compare that with the measurement from an actual emblem. From that you should be able to scale the distance from the emblem to the line calculating the curve as you go. You'll notice also that the line has a slight "S" to it as it wraps around the front of the tank. With a little patience, you can get pretty close. (take a look at Ray's 65 pan in the gallery). Ray
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Re: '65 paint

Post by Hog54 »

You mean this tank?

http://www.harleydavidsonmuseum.com/ima ... nklogo.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
4pans1man
Bikes: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Post by 4pans1man »

Might be the right paint design for the "65" year. But thats not even a Panhead gas tank. Has the fuel line cross over nipple on the bottom of the tank. Should have the through tank fuel shut-off.

Tony
Hog54
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 Panhead
1980 Lowrider

Post by Hog54 »

Well thats the tank the Harley Davidson museum used.
4pans1man
Bikes: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Post by 4pans1man »

Hog54

They must have of ran out of originals and called J&P Cycles for a set to repaint? Or there originals off of EBay.

.........Tony
Rain Man
Bikes: 1965 FL, 1983 FLH, 2010 electra glide

Post by Rain Man »

Tony's right. 65 should have the through tank shut off. Ray
CaptMike
Bikes: 1998 Roadglide, 1957 FLH

Post by CaptMike »

Rain Man wrote:Tony's right. 65 should have the through tank shut off. Ray
Is that true? My '65 had a standard lower petcock but... ?

(My 1965 Pan was originally Vic Crenshaw's wifes (Vic's H-D of Augusta Ga.) bike. It was taken apart when new and all the tins were CHROMED. It was rumored to have come from the factory Chromed. After I ran it back to find out it didn't leave the factory Chrome, it turned BLACK.)
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Yes, CaptMike,

That is a re-creation of a 1965 paintjob, because it is a later tank.
I see no petcock bung, so it may be an early '66 tank.

I would like to see a portrait of the original 1965 3.5 gal scheme (that wasn't all white).
A thumbnail was posted to the AMCA forum, but it is too small to use.

....Cotten
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

Hog54 wrote:Well thats the tank the Harley Davidson museum used.
that's interesting. i live less than 100 miles from the museum and still have not found time to go look at the collections.

during my wla restoration flathead6 was nice enough to shoot some pics of the "unrestored" wlas there. upon close inspection there were some unusual parts on the bikes.

not saying the factory museum is wrong, my theory is that the bikes sat in storage for decades and some parts may have been "borrowed" for what ever reason. then, when they were prepared for display replacement parts were used.

that, or the bikes were test models that used one off or prototype parts.

john
CaptMike
Bikes: 1998 Roadglide, 1957 FLH

Post by CaptMike »

Cotten wrote:Yes, CaptMike,

That is a re-creation of a 1965 paintjob, because it is a later tank.
I see no petcock bung, so it may be an early '66 tank.

I would like to see a portrait of the original 1965 3.5 gal scheme (that wasn't all white).
A thumbnail was posted to the AMCA forum, but it is too small to use.

....Cotten
Is that not like going to the Coke Museum and then having a can of Falstaff that was painted as a Vintage can of Coke? Or big fake Boobs? I'm just offended... How can they do that? Somebody call "Willie G". :evil:

Cotton, look closely at the lower right of the picture and you can just see the slop of the petcock bung.

Here's a 1965 you can see the knob.

Speeding Big Twin
Bikes: H-D

Post by Speeding Big Twin »

Hog54 wrote:Well thats the tank the Harley Davidson museum used.
There are problems with some bikes in the Harley museum and the subject was discussed a while back on the CAI forum. Some of the bikes are not accurate representations of the model they are meant to be.

When Harley changed from the through-tank shut-off to the fuel valve assembly (fuel tap) for the 1966 Big Twin, the petrol outlets at the front of each tank pointed straight down toward the ground. But the outlet on that museum tank is right-angled and I think that right-angle design first appeared around 1980-81.

Some late model tanks have the fuel tap further to the rear than earlier ones but I don't know what year that change was implemented. Also notice the appearance of the petrol cap as opposed to what they looked like for 1965. And the bottom of that cap seems very close to the top of the tank as a late model cap would be. Eric
Underdoggie
Bikes: 1965 FL
1974 Honda XR75
1975 FXE
1975 Honda CB 750
1995 FXSTC
1999 FLHTUI

Post by Underdoggie »

If you are an amca member and use their forum. I have an album there under my user name with an original paint 65 for reference.

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”