Paint code

panmarkski
Bikes: 1979 XLS
2007FLHX
1961 FLH

Paint code

Post by panmarkski »

Looking for a paint code for Hi Fi Flamingo, it was used on 1961 models. Found a HD# 9860-BU and a DuPont # Y797-7785 in the HD restoration book by Palmer, took both numbers to my local paint supplier said they weren't good. ANY ideas?......Mark
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: Paint code

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Mark,
Pink, by any other name, is STILL pink! Are you nutz?, why would you paint a perfectly good panhead pink?

They only used that color one year (for a very good reason in my opinion) and there is not a current paint production cross reference in the public domain, the guys that bought the rights to the original stuff from H-D are sitting tight on that information. That color is so limited production that Jim Henson does not have a cross-reference in his excellent document (I looked).

Those numbers you have were good when that paint was still fresh, unfortunately there is not a modern paint code for that color.

mike
panmarkski
Bikes: 1979 XLS
2007FLHX
1961 FLH

Re: Paint code

Post by panmarkski »

Pink, by any other name, is STILL pink! Are you nutz?, why would you paint a perfectly good panhead pink?
Mike, it's FLAMINGO damnit not PINK! LOL!
wasn't planning on doing the whole bike in pink that would be you know.....
was going black with the hi fi flamingo instead of the birch white panel something like the old 55 chevy two tone black-coral paint scheme, but thanks for the info...Mark

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”