Chopper rear fender

panomania
Inactive member

Chopper rear fender

Post by panomania »

hey guys... im trying to find a rear fender that will hug the tire without spending several hundred bucks. ive tried flat fenders, trailor fenders and fiberglass fenders. i just recieved a new fender new from v-twin. Its called their brittish chopper round fender. Well if my tire was 30 inches round, it would fit nicely. Where do they come up with the radiuses on these things? It also advertises its a 6 inch fender. I suppose no-one at teds cycle has a tape measure. I should known 6 inches really means 5 and 1/4. Crazy me... any suggestions? 16 inch wheel with a avon 150. total width of 6 inches and radius of 24 inches. thanks, pano
Skip
Bikes: 48 pan
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

just bought a nice 6" one from zoom specialties in CA....I had them chrome it for me...super nice...fender was under 50.00 but the chrome job was a bit more.
PhilB

Re: Chopper rear fender

Post by PhilB »

I used a Jesse James rear fender- I think it was the one ton ho fender and I put it on a 16" with a 150 Dunlop. It fits great! Look at my bike in the Gallery-

It fits like a glove and is a beautiful fender if I say so myself! It is well made but not cheap-but it really fits and is well finished and if you plan on riding two up it will hold plenty of weight (no reflection on your old lady)!

Check out this other view-

panomania
Inactive member

Post by panomania »

hey phil, your right, it looks awesome! where did you buy the fender and how much did it set you back? does it come with the brackets or are they seperate?
thats a killer scoot! ride proud!
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Thanks! I love the bike! I ordered it out of the Custom Chrome book, I think. Look in any of the parts books or go to West Coast Choppers web site. I think it is about $250 for the fender and you will have to make your brackets. Call them and tell them that you want the fender for a 16" wheel and 150 tire-it is called a onetonho or something like it. You will know it when you see the picture! I used hardend, cold rolled flat stock, like, 3/16" from a machine tool supply shop and then made a jig to bend it for the fender. This stuff is stiff and very strong! You will not have it flex or spring and you can keep the fender very close to the tire. Just give your self enough roof to the tire to expand when hot and for when you tighten the chain. Good luck, I love the look and it is much better than those trailer fenders!
gpp3442
Former member
Bikes: *

Post by gpp3442 »

Pano/PhilB
Gentlemen,
I would like to also use a 16/150 rear tire but was told that it would not fit without some mods. How do you fit yours in?(stock wishbone). I saw a previous thread mentioning shimming the sprocket? front also?
Thanks,
George III
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

My chain clears the tire by a whisker! I have a 5-spd trans and matching shaft on the crank (S & S wheels etc) so I have just enough room. How much clearence do you have now?

And yes, I have an aftermarket sproket that is slightly offset to line up with the 5-spd.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

pano-
Do you have the 150 on that sporty NOW ???
& is it chain or belt. In other words what YEAR is it ??
they do have a bit more room than BIG twin.
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Its not a sporty!-its a 90" S & S pan in a Pougho whishbone frame. I imagine that an original frame might pose a few additional issues!
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

PhilB-
Since when did you start answering to the name Pano ???
as that is who I directed my question to.
Re-read the post.
Yes we all know you have nice S$S Pan/clone....
in a Paugho wishbone..Very Nice.. Cool

Man, you're in a mood today.. :o
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Touchy, touchy! My seeing eye dog was asleep!
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

:) Good one!!
"No harm No Foul"

Back to the game.. :)
panomania
Inactive member

Post by panomania »

hey billy, my pan is a 140, stock frame and rear fender.
the sporty is what im trying to find a fender to fit. 86 year motor. after market rigid frame. not sure of the make. my tire measures 6 inches wide, but i only have 7 inches of frame to play with. i'll make the fender brackets. i wish i could heat up the new fender and bend it better but im afraid i will ruin it in the process. hey billy, while ive got you, would boring those jugs be less expensive than replacing them? if so, do you do that and how much?
also, how far south are you? last wed,thur and friday i was in the panhandle.
gpp3442
Former member
Bikes: *

Post by gpp3442 »

PhilB,
I have a 130 in there now with plenty of room(almost 2"). All the oldtimers in my neck of the woods keep telling me it will fit in,(the 150) but I posed this question before on this site and there was quite a few answers including notching out the tire( the gentlemen said it looked great but would not move and kept losing air ;D)
Thanks for your time I probably will just end up with the 140/90... Unless?
Thanks,
George III
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Pano-
You should be able to have them done locally for not more than $70. a hole. = $140. Try Napa, they machine.
They gotta remove a lotta meat.... Surprised
Even if you bought used cyl.'s you'd still have to $pay to rebore them.. So, YES it's cheaper to bore yours...
make sure who-ever does, uses 'torque-plates'

I'm a 'test ride' south of Daytona :) :) near the action.

Geroge III-
Some comments were said in good humor. No bad intentions meant. :wink:
If you have 2" on 1 side,' tire to chain' ??
If I understand you correctly?? That 150 would easily fit, with room to spare. BUT,
Somehow it doesn't sound right thou. ??
2" from tire to chain ??? Hmmmmm!!!!!
That can't be right... :o Surprised

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”