Tank Badges

panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Tank Badges

Post by panz4ever »

Posted this on another forum as well but no luck so far. In the process of restoring my 49 gas tank emblems. Need to know what color of red was used, anyone have a source for the color?
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Re: Tank Badges

Post by john HD »

e mail chris haynes. i am sure he knows!

john
rodklop
Bikes: Harley 42 WLA Harley 48FL

Post by rodklop »

Is One Shot red lettering enamel an acceptable color ? I don't know this first hand. Someone told me that it is. Thanks for any input...Rod
panz4ever

Post by panz4ever »

John I posted this on the AMCA and the Classic American Iron forum (2 of the ones he frequents and comments on) but nothing, not one reply yet.

Rod, never heard of one-shot red lettering as a color.

Hopefully between the 3 threads I can find something out. I finally got all the dents (most anyway) and straightened them an had a little brazing done. Got one sanded so it should be a decent chrome job; going to try and get the other done tomorrow and then have them rechromed. Would be nice to have the paint lined up.

See a lot of pics with what appears to be original emblems. Can't believe they all found ones in pristine, no need to paint condition, and I have the only phucked up, needed a lot of work ones.
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Panz,
Rod answered your question. The "One Shot" lettering paint is what you want. I repainted the original FoxCo badges on my '47 with it and they turned out perfect. It is not like any other kind of paint, it flows out perfectly and sticks to surfaces that other paint will not adhere to, this is very important when you are trying to paint surfaces that have been nickel or chrome plated.

I'll try to post some pictures in the morning, I still have the can on the shelf.

mike
http://www.1shot.com/home.html
panz4ever

Post by panz4ever »

Rod, owe you a BIG apology.

Mike is it just called one shot red. Want to make sure I get the right stuff. Can't thank you enough for the web address. Post pics please. This is the info that all need to knwo and see in order to do a correct restoration.

Dave
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Dave,
I pulled the can off the shelf this morning before work, the 1Shot number on the can is 104-L Bright Red.

I think I bought it from Eastwood a long time ago, I just checked their site and it looks like they still have it but it got a little pricey since I bought mine 15 bucks for a 1/2 pint, wow!

here's the link to Eastwood:
http://www.eastwood.com/paints/pinstrip ... -2-pt.html
hplhd
Bikes: 1998 heritage springer
1959 FLH

Post by hplhd »

panz, theres a couple of different reds. i have 102-L in my box but theres a 104-L. make sure flathead gives you the right #
edit- oops i type slow.
FlatHeadSix

Post by FlatHeadSix »

I thought I had some pictures of just the badge when I painted it but I can't find it. Here are a couple of pics of the original FoxCo badge on my '47 WL, same bike, same badge but polished up and re-lettered using the 1-Shot # 104-L Bright Red sign paint.
mike

panz4ever

Post by panz4ever »

Damn, wish my tank badges had looked as good as yours to start with. Nice work on the paint and polish. Need to finish one and then get them off for chrome. In the interim I am going to order the paint you used. Found a couple of businesses in San Jose, Ca that carry the product. One step closer....Hell by spring '10 I may actually have a runner again.

Thanks for the info from all. Gonna post the info (if you guys are cool with that) on the CAI and AMCA forums as well.
rodklop
Bikes: Harley 42 WLA Harley 48FL

Post by rodklop »

http://freewebs.com/colorwrite/gallery/ ... mblem/hl08

Panz....This is the web site of: John Pierce Color Write I don't know if you will just be able to click on it
and open it up. If not, just google it and you should be able to acess the site. Click on photo gallerys, then click on Projects We Have Photographed, then scroll down to 48-50 Emblem Paint Method. put cursor on
Gas tank Emblem to open up 8 how to photos.

I just ran across this the other night & thought it was interesting. I have bought One Shot Lettering Enamel locally at art supply stores. It runs in the $12 to $15 range but it is good stuff. I use the black to do frame touch up on stone knicks, ect. Just use an artist brush. Hope this gives some helpful info...
panz4ever

Post by panz4ever »

Mike, are the two pics a before and after of your bike? Very nicely done.

Rod, went to the web you suggested. Interesting how he did the work. Wondering what he used to get off the excess paint. Soft rag and paint thinner maybe once the paint dried?
FlatHeadSix

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Panz
Same bike, before and after pics taken about 2 years apart. That was actually a barn find right here in Arkansas, it belonged to an old guy in Redfield AR that used to run the auto parts store in town. He was actually going to get up out of his wheel chair to help me roll it on the trailer but before he could unhook his oxygen tank I had it loaded. He hated to see it go and we didn't make the deal until he was convinced that I would give it a good home. I listened to a million stories about the "good old days" when he and the bike were a lot younger. The thing started the next day with little more than a battery and some fresh fuel and oil.

One of these days I'll post all the pictures in my gallery.

mike
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

suprized you didn't keep the flander's risers on the bike mike!

john
panz4ever

Post by panz4ever »

Mike, One Last Thing....got to looking at my tank badges and the left emblem is like the one in the pic you posted with the 'H' on top being centered over the 'D' on the bottom. I finished the right badge and saw that the 'H' on the top is actually centered about mid-way between the 'A' and the 'V' on the bottom. Is there something wrong here. These are both OEM with the correct markings on the back.

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”