gas tank problems

george48pan
Bikes: 48 panhead

gas tank problems

Post by george48pan »

I have a 48 pan with 51 tanks in a 58 or so swing arm. My left tank is starting to weep gas through the bottom near the seat. Is there a 5 gal tank with a through the tank shut off? What year tanks will fit on the frame and clear the pans?
Bigincher
Former member
Bikes: 1941/59 EL
1952 FL
1977 FLH
1994 Fatboy

Re: gas tank problems

Post by Bigincher »

It's a fairly common problem, a crack developing around the rear mount studs. When that happened to my tank, I just had it welded up. The burned paint at the repair didn't show, and a little spray from a foo-foo can protected the raw metal from rust. Same thing happened to a friend while we were out on the road, and he had his welded up at a muffler shop, of all places, and we were back on the road in an hour. (Insert here the usual warning about purging fumes from tank before welding)
Bosheff
Bikes: 65 FLH 82 FLH

Post by Bosheff »

The only year for 5 gallon split tanks with the old style petcock is 1965. Just in case ya go lookin for these, good luck....bosheff
Bosheff

Post by Bosheff »

Any pan or shovel tanks will fit yer application. Rule of thumb...Shovel tanks will work with shovels, pans, and knucks. Pan tanks will work with pans and knucks. Knuckle tanks only on knucks. All will work with BT flatties....bosheff
Frankenstein
Bikes: 37ULH,46UL,47EL(80"),65FL,61KH-WL-BSA hybrid,56square4,several 50's BSA 500 singles

Post by Frankenstein »

To avoid the leak at the rear mounting bolt, I always fit all the mounting bolts loose, tighten up only the rear bolts and then space out the front tabs with washers so the front bolts don't stress the rear ones when they're tightened up. Seems to work o.k.
Dick
Schwee
Bikes: 57 Pan, 42 WLA

Post by Schwee »

Bosheff wrote:Any pan or shovel tanks will fit yer application. Rule of thumb...Shovel tanks will work with shovels, pans, and knucks. Pan tanks will work with pans and knucks. Knuckle tanks only on knucks. All will work with BT flatties....bosheff
Is this true about knuck tanks? I have cats-eye tanks on my rigid Pan, no problem. I always thought cats-eyes pre-dated Pans.
Bosheff

Post by Bosheff »

I may be mistaken, but any time I ever tried to use knuckle tanks with pans it was a no go....bosheff
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Do you rally have cat eye tanks, or just a cat eye dash on pan tanks??
Robbie
Schwee
Bikes: 57 Pan, 42 WLA

Post by Schwee »

RUBONE wrote:Do you rally have cat eye tanks, or just a cat eye dash on pan tanks??
Robbie
Interesting question. Some one gave me the tanks for free many years ago and I bought the aftermarket cat eye dash set up, which fits perfectly, so I always figured they were cat eye tanks.

How can I tell for sure? (They were really beat up when I got them and took lots of cleaning up, so there are no original emblem mounts. They have the banjo cross over line and a left side tank shift mount.)

S

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”