1958 Panhead Colors

ken21
Bikes: 1958 FL, 1964 FLH

1958 Panhead Colors

Post by ken21 »

Hello Everyone, this is my first posting on this site as I have just recently purchased a 58 FL in need of some TLC. One of the many minor things I am looking for is a color match for Skyline Blue. I have the original Harley reference of 9860*-AW but this is no longer in use. I can't find a sample of the color so I need to provide my painter with an equivalent modern day reference. Does anyone know if or where this would exist.

Thanks

Ken
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: 1958 Panhead Colors

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Ken,
There are only 2 suppliers (that I know of) that have the original paint formulas, and they are not sharing the codes for obvious reasons. Both of them are very reliable and will mix and sell you paint which is supposed to be a perfect match to the original, but its NOT cheap.

Antique Cycle Supply will sell you a paint chip which you can take to your local paint supplier and have computer matched, a very reasonable alternative:
http://www.antiquecyclesupply.com/catScan/p182.htm

http://www.antiquecyclesupply.com/paint.htm

John Pierce at ColorWrite is the other supplier, but he is keeping the PPG/Ditzler codes a secret too.
http://www.freewebs.com/colorwrite/colors/1958.html

mike
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Ken,
I forgot to ask you if your bike is 2-tone or solid Skyline Blue. I think most, if not all, of the 58's had Birch White as the 2nd color on all of the of the 2-tone paint schemes. I have the PPG paint code for the Birch White if you need it.

I have an original paint unrestored 1958 model ST165 (Hummer) that came with the Hi-Fi Blue/Birch White paint. The Hi-Fi was not offered on the FL models, so it won't help you much, it is just one more example of some of the crazy things the factory did. I have had AMCA people tell me that it was not available in 1958 so I had to find some original factory documents to prove it; Harley Hummer Club to the rescue!

mike
ken21

Post by ken21 »

Thanks Mike. Mine is a two tone Skyline Blue and Birch White. The Birch White color is still in production so there is no problem matching that. I like your suggestion of buying the chip from Antique Cycle Supplies. For only $5 I will know I will get a perfect match.
Your story of your Hummer is good, there was much more veriation in manufacturing than the "expert" books would have us believe.

Thanks again
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

if you have a copy of bruce palmer's book "how to restore your harley davidson" there are the old dupont paint codes in the index.

i used the recipie for pepper red on my bike and it was a perfect match.

however, there are very few auto paint places that can translate the numbers into modern paint.

the chip may be your best bet.

john
ken21

Post by ken21 »

Hi John,

Thanks for that. I have the book how to Restore Your Harley with the Dupont code but my painter can'tmix it as the references are too old. I am currnetly trying to get a chip from Antique Cycles but not sure if they deal with customers in Australia where I am.

Thanks for your help

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”