1949 Gas tank fuel shut off install question

thsmith

1949 Gas tank fuel shut off install question

Post by thsmith »

I am about to install the correct fuel tanks on my 49EL. I seem to remember there is a tool to align the fuel shut off rod in the fuel valve.

My question is:

IS this tool really needed ?

Are there tricks to doing this with or without the alignment tool ?

Thanks,

Tracy
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Tracy!

The OEM tool doesn't work very well.
To straighten metal, it has to be bent past 'true' so that it will spring back to 'true'. The over-engineered compound straightener is rare for a reason.

My method is optical; take a shut-off seat and thread it into the hole, and the sight through it at the top hole. You would be surprised at how obvious misalignments appear!

Although I use an over-length custom-machined tap with a 1/4" hole bored through it, so that I can put a 'cheater' on it to tweak things in line, anyone with patience can find the 'sweet spot' with a little trial and error, and maybe a wooden mallet.

Sometimes the paint doesn't even crack!

...Cotten

PS! Instead of the brass seals on the 'banjo' joints, use the copper crushwashers from the bottom of a Linkert. Used ones work fine, and MUCH better than the damned brass!
thsmith

Post by thsmith »

Thanks Cotten, That should get me going and good tip on the valve washers.

Tracy
VT

Post by VT »

Don't remove any material from the banjo surfaces, even if the plating on them (some are chrome) isn't perfect. The washers or Linkert washers for sure, will seal everything. I like Seal-All ® coating each of the (eight) contact surfaces (albiet I've heard that the "new" gas disloves Seal-All), but Linkert bowl washers should do the job. Good save.
The thickness is exacting on the banjo, and removing any material will affect the turning action of the shut-off knob, once the 1-1/16" seat nut is tightened (backing up the seat with a 1" open-end on the banjo flats); luring a person to think that the tank's shut-off rod outlets are mis-aligned, when instead, it's the un-even surfaces of the banjo that will cock the alignment and cause the shut-off knob to bind on it's way down to the "off" position. 8)

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”