top fuel rod hole in left hand gas tank.

panhead_kicker
Bikes: Pan
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)
Model 64D (Hey its got 3 wheels!)

top fuel rod hole in left hand gas tank.

Post by panhead_kicker »

Can anyone post a good close up picture looking down into the top fuel rod hole in left hand gas tank? I have a tank I am trying to clean up , and I don't know exactly what the inside of this hole should contain. Should it have threads? Should the inner diameter of this bung hole be the same for the whole depth? What does the diameter measure? I am not positive of the year of my tank, but I think it is 63-64.
I did find a picture in the repop forum that talks about using the ful rod alignment tool. It was pretty good looking down the top hole, but it was an earlier vintage tank I think.
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Re: top fuel rod hole in left hand gas tank.

Post by steve_wood »

Here ya go. Not much too it, no threads

And yes, i need to clean off the surface rust....
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
panhead_kicker
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

Great pics Steve. Thanks. What year tanks? (1956?) Here is a shot of mine. I am not familiar with the hardware that would normally fit in here, but under the cap that covered this was a small spring that came out. Think its possible that what is in the hole is some remains of rotted fuel rod hardware? Its pretty hard when I pick at it, but could be something rusted in place.
fuel_rod_hole.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

Looks like part of the rubber seal left in there. There should be the rubber seal than a washer than a spring and the cap which squeezes it all together making it seal around the shut off rod. I think all the tanks had the same thing.

V-twin sells the set up, but some members have said what they sell now won't work withoiut some serious rework.
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

PanPal has it right. That ring is what's left of the rubber washer. When new, it's kinda thick with square edges.

Looks like some fairly serious corrosion in there. Maybe you can dress it with a twist drill (very carefully)?

steve
panhead_kicker
FLHP Evo
E-H Super X
Chubble head hack
Servi-car
Topper(s)

Post by panhead_kicker »

Ok, I am looking at the tank and fittings diagram and see the fuel rod parts. If that seal is just supposed to be cork or rubber, then it ought to dig right out with an awl or pick , BUT what ever is in mine, seems hard as metal, and I dont think its the washer. I'll try a file or drill bit and see what comes out. Thanks guys !
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

The original seal was cork after market made some rubber ones available. From the picture yours looks like it is just extremely corroded, but it could also be that someone tried to solve a common problem by using some type of sealant that may have hardened. The problem is when the seal gets worn it leaks and the rod won't stay up which is how you access the reserve. I have seen several people carry an old wooden clothespin that they would clip to the rod to keep it up. Be careful working on the area as I have not seen any replacement available for the bung itself, so if it gets too messed up the tank can be ruined.

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”