Hinged Rear Fender Wiring???

bbhf
Bikes: 1952 panhead

Hinged Rear Fender Wiring???

Post by bbhf »

I am wiring the rear tail lite on my 52 pan and need to know how the wiring is routed so you can lift the rear fender: i have the wire in the sleeves on the inside of the fender and can not visualize how you leave enough wire for the tail lite for lifting and not get the extra tangled in the tire: got any pics and advice?? thanks. bbhf
LittleAl
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 FL Panhead
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Re: Hinged Rear Fender Wiring???

Post by LittleAl »

on my '54 I pulled the wire and asphalt loom snug with the fender folded back as far as it goes and drilled a small hole in the channel that runs along the inside of the un-movable part of the fender and tie wrapped it there so it wouldn't slide back and forth & chafe. once the fender is down in it's normal position it created a very small loop in the wire. it would have to pushed over to the tire and held there to rub against it although I guess it's possible it could do it on it's own
steve_wood
Bikes: 56 FLH, 2007 FLHRCI

Post by steve_wood »

One thing about those hinged fenders - if you ever use the hinge, you'll probably damage the paint on the hinge and where the two parts butt together. Not a big deal if that area is already damaged, but if you've got new paint, you might want to avoid ever activating the hinge. That would make your concern a moot point.

my .02
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Post by fourthgear »

There should be a stay bracket just below the hinge to keep the harness running from side to side (across the fender, like the bendable brackets going from front to rear )between the tail light & hinge, so when you lift the hinge it has some slack. Its kinda hard to discribe , I wish I had some photo's for ya.
bbhf
Bikes: 1952 panhead

Post by bbhf »

i have already chipped the paint: i want to have it so i can use it: my fender does not have anything past the hinge: i will try the fender in the up position and see what it looks like: we need more pics of wiring and routing: the ones from the 51 pan are great and would like to see more of the dash area: top and bottom: thanks for the help: bbhf
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

If your bike is a mutt(not period correct) just make a snap-plug connection, no worries & works great--besides the hell with a few chips on a hinge--use it what its meant for --unless its a trailer queen! or you go 1000miles a year!--just my 2----58flh :twisted:

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”