1959 Paint Scheme

Panama
Bikes: -

1959 Paint Scheme

Post by Panama »

I will be painting a pair of '59 FLH tanks soon. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if the birch white painted panel around the emblem was originally painted on top of or buried beneath the color?
Thank you!
Byron
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Re: 1959 Paint Scheme

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Panama,
My original paint '58 has the Birch White as the base coat. It looks like they painted the entire tank, top, bottom, the whole outer surface, Birch White. They apparently masked off the white, shot the second color, and then rubbed the whole thing out because there is no "layer affect" at the break line between the colors.

mike
Panama
Bikes: -

Post by Panama »

I assumed that was the case, but it is good to learn it is a fact. That was the way I planned to paint it anyway.
Thanks for the info! Very helpful.
Byron
Linuxmon
Inactive member
Bikes: 1958 Panhead

Post by Linuxmon »

I just bought a 58 pan - skyline blue/birch white first bike in 20+ years - and I am sure it is original paint due to there being some pretty good damage to the paint and seeing bare metal in some places. I cannot tell by where the blue is damaged if white was ever under it but I agree there is no seam/layer at the point of intersection of the two colors. Smooth as a transition between colors as can be. Here is a photo (sorry about the quality). I'm new but trying to learn fast.

ps
anyone know where to get touch up paint for it if it is even available?
IMG_7940-1sm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
john HD
Bikes: '42 WLA X 2, '55FL, '93 Ultra Classic, '91 Fatboy, '97 883, '03 Rokon Trailbreaker, '83 GPz 750.

Post by john HD »

hey linux,

welcome to the forum!

the pic is ok! i have posted way worse and i am supposed to know what i am doing!

nice looking rig, let's see some more! don't be afraid to post in the projects section.

john :D

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”