Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 FL Panhead
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Custom Chrome Replica gas tanks

Post by LittleAl »

I've read quite a few of the threads about the aftermarket gas tanks but I don't recall anything specific about the Custom Chrome one (part # 25568). There are a couple up on eBay right now for $170 but how would you guys rate them?

will the through tank fuel valve fit ok?
tank emblems?
shift gate?
overall shape compared to OEM?

these tanks would be for my '54 FL

Eventually I'll find the right original tank but I don't wanna let that search hold me back from getting my bike on the street, looking to have her road ready for this season, used some repop, some oem so far
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Re: Custom Chrome Replica gas tanks

Post by VintageTwin »

overall shape compared to OEM?
The CCI 3.5 gal. tanks (Custom Chrome Inc.) were made 40 yrs. ago, when greater fuel capacity was paramount over style. The tanks are cubically larger than OEM and look wrong on an otherwise stock Panhead. I have a set.
Wait until V-Twin comes out with theirs or go ahead and buy some CCI ones and see how you like them. You can always re-sell them on ebay.
Here's a pic of an OEM tank on the left and a pic of a CCI tank on the right. Most people wouldn't know the difference. You'd probably have to look real hard at the two for about 2 hours, before your mind would be able to pick out the differences. Extremely difficult for most people to see, but the rear section of the tank totally eclipses the rear Pan cover. I can't ride with the CCI, they're too distracting. The pop-up reserve valves on the tanks work, but you might have to use an alignment tool. I did. Mine works....wanna buy them (CCI)? $150.00 plus shipping.
ImageImage
LittleAl
Inactive member
Bikes: 1954 FL Panhead
1976 Sporty
1983 FXRT Shovelhead
2000 FLHT TC
2008 Anniversary Ultra

Post by LittleAl »

OK, I've seen that post a few times, just never noticed it was a CC tank in the paragraph. Old eyes, old brain, lol

So I assume the fuel shut off is aligned, the tank's been sealed, caps included, paint is perfect and your gonna come and install it, right? LOL

seriously, sent you a PM.
Eric
Bikes: 93 CI Panhead from Accurate Eingineering Ridgid wishbone w/50's engineering

Post by Eric »

I know you are wanting CC tanks. I bought a set of tanks from Ted's V-twin. The fuel rod did not line up and I had to heat and bend the tanks to get them to fit my frame. One side was set about an inch more forward than the other. I made an alignment tool and got everything in order. Just passing on info.
Eric
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

Yes, the CCI tank's Panhead shut off valves need aligning with the alignment tool (a very good tool, only slightly improved from the original). I used the alignment tool on the CCI tanks I sold Al. The shut-off valve now aligns flawlessly.
Not the case with the so-called replica Knuckle tanks. The top and bottom shut-off rod holes are no where near alignment. The tool is useless. Can you believe, that for the last 40 years, the aftermarket's remedy has been to, "Use the by-pass fuel petcock and eliminate the troublesome OE style rod and seat".
Those days are gone now. The only vestige remaining from those "lost years" are the pitiful Knuckle tanks still being sold. The internet put a halt to bad parts. We stomped a frickin' mudhole in the bad parts silly ass, and continue to do so today.
Those bogus Knuckle tanks (with the too-wide cats-eye dash opening) are destined for the scrap heap along with the SUV's and Hummer's. Good riddance.
rrhawg
Bikes: 59 Pan, 65 Pan, 45 Wl, 46 UL, 41 Chief, 48 Chief, 50 Chief, 53 Hummer, 53 Simplex, and misc. others

Post by rrhawg »

has anyone used the tanks that AAOK sells. are these any better or are they the same as what vtwin sells.
Rich
VintageTwin

Post by VintageTwin »

The tanks are all from the same source. One group made the Knuckle tanks (wrong) and CCI made the fat 3.5 Panhead tank stamping dies 40 years ago.
That's your choices until V-Twin releases their new 3.5 tanks.
I have asked for an update on the tanks on Friday. I'll either hear back (in which case I'll make a new post and announce it) or I'll hear nothing. Someone else may get the word before me. If so, maybe they'll post the news.

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”