Rattle can paint jobs

53rigidrider
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Rattle can paint jobs

Post by 53rigidrider »

How many people have rattle canned a paint job?
I've got a couple of rough fenders I'd like to paint to match my candy-apple red paint, but don't want the hassle of a gun and compressor.
I was thinking of finding a present day auto paint match that's close, but I'm trying to figure how to replicate the gold base.
Any suggestions?
Thanks in advance..
haggis
Bikes: *

Re: Rattle can paint jobs

Post by haggis »

53rigid...
I rattle-canned the Purple Bastard with Dupli-color Mirage Red/Blue and then coated the crap out of it with the Clearcoat Engine Enamel.
With respect to your situation about using different coats to achieve a blend....all I can say is let it dry a LONG time before adding a new coat...the solvent used in cans does a real good job of Melting the previous coat!! Haggis.
kell

Post by kell »

What's the best gloss black?
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Kell, I like Napa Auto Parts Paint, I forget who makes it. But it is quality in a can. ;)
Jack_Hester
Inactive member

Post by Jack_Hester »

Billy -

I believe that NAPA sells Dupli-Color paints. At least that's what I get from the local NAPA for my high temp paints. Haven't looked for what they have in standard rattle can paints.

Jack
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Jack, Yes on the "Dupli-Color" paints, I just checked my shelf. Even the regular paint same brand.
Good Stuff........
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

A little caution on Duplicolor, which I use a lot on small hardware...

You better get it on in one coat,...or re-coat it promptly,....or wait forever before the next coat. And even then you will be lucky if it doesn't wrinkle.

As to rattlecanning sheetmetal, I gave it up for a four-inch loose-hair brush: "Rat's where it's at."
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

NAPA is god. Everything the make. You can 1200 grit coat that dupli-coat lacquer and get it deep looking, if you can wait the two weeks it takes to pace 72 hr. dry times between coats... So much freedom in a can. It's like Geritol, painting is... Canned paint is great. Gasoline is a little tough on it. I don't know if you wouldn't be better off, than to go to PPG and get the paint. Quart of Deltron is about 80 bucks I think or something crazy, then take your stripped sanded parts to a paint shop and try to get them to do it cheap..."cause your prepared". All the two-part Deltron top coats are gas proof... without having to clear coat too. Love that paint smell from the can though. I'd like to climb in a gunny sack, tie the top closed and huff a can of it.
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

Plumber, actually lacquer paint is about the fastest drying paint made. That's why it was so popular for custom paint-jobs etc..Shoot a base, "Bang" 15 minutes you're taping off a flame-job's next color. It's 'flash' time is super-quick. I'm talking qts. not rattle-cans though..
Downside to lacquer is: Don't get any gas on it. Or it's instantly burnt. Maybe you can buff it out. :-/

You can top-coat with Urethene like all the New HD's have. Which gas won't hurt it easily. But you must wait a considerable time for the lacquer to fully "gas-out"

Now NAPA's Rattle-Can Enamel does require a long drying time, so you better get it coated well quickly. But the finish is durable & I think worth the wait. I use it for the detail parts, as well..

Cotten, I have not yet resorted to a brush.
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

All right. 8-)
Gold base for Candy Red. Once I painted my Triumph candy, but I used a white base instead of gold or silver. Looked OK. Old gas back then would wreck it. Can't really buff it. you can, but it seems the gas made the paint darker. Primer was the best paint for my '59. Comes in that nice Krylon button-can. If gas strips it, you can just spray some more on. In fact when it was time for a club run, I could hastily tape the area off and touch up the greasy areas. If I had a bobber with easy to remove fenders and tank, I'd probably rattle-can it just to aggravate people.
Rainjester

Post by Rainjester »

I did a bit of research on the internet on how to successfully do rattlecan painting since I thought of putting ghost flames on my panchop to cover some paint. Take a look at the following thread link. It even talks about how you can attach a gun trigger to the can. I think you'll find it has interesting information on how to achieve better results when rattlecan painting:

http://www.hotrodders.com/t41513.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jester-
53rigidrider
Inactive member

Post by 53rigidrider »

Looks like I'll be spending some time with my local paint supplier!
I've got the original paint receipts with the brand/color specified, and I might look for those spray jars to apply it.
Worse case scenario is I'll spray-can the fenders gloss black, and run them with the red tank...kinda different!
Thanks much!
;)

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”