Oil tank leaks

louypan

Oil tank leaks

Post by louypan »

Gidday Fellas, Any tips on repairing leaks in your standard square pan/shovel oil tank? A few years ago I had mine airbrushed with the words 53 Pan. It now leaks once the oil gets warm. Not enough to do any real damage but just enough to be a pain in the arse. I work at an aircraft factory in Melbourne (Australia) and I before I had it airbrushed I sealed around all the mounting brackets with some aircraft sealant, but the oil has now found a way through. Just wondering if its possible to seal the tank from the inside?
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Oil tank leaks

Post by fourthgear »

louypan
If you are talking about the electric start type oil tank( its square and there is a older police square type for Pans) I personally have not had much luck sealing them or having them re welded. I have seen some use gas tank sealers in them with out much luck and brazing them , they just seem to find another place to leak or crack. The gas tank type sealant seems not to like the heat in there and brakes down ( something you DO NOT want in your oil tank , not that I would put any thing like that in my oil tank any way) The other problem I see is that you have it custom painted and pretty much what ever you do is not going to be good for the paint job and I think that is why no one has answered your post . If you want to keep that particular tank you can have it welded by a GOOD welder and repaint or get a new one and repaint. Just my two.
1950bobber

Post by 1950bobber »

Good morning louypan...I've got a spare square swingarm type oil tank in good condition that I won't use AND a standard rigid style oil tank...I'll donate either to you if you want them....I'd only ask you pay the shipping! Hope you get a handle on that leak....chasing leaks really IS a pain in the arse!
Jim in Seattle "1950 Bobber"
louypan

Post by louypan »

Thanks Fourthgear, I knew it was a difficult ask, but I had to try every angle.

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”