Fuel tank storage

jackrocks
Inactive member

Fuel tank storage

Post by jackrocks »

I have a pair of fatbob fuel tanks that I'm going to store away for a few years in my attic that is subject to heat in the summer and cold in the winter, can anyone suggest a way to insure they won't get rusty inside during storage?
panz4ever
Bikes: EL, FXE & FLH

Re: Fuel tank storage

Post by panz4ever »

How about WD-40. I think it is one of the best rust inhibitors I have seen and when you want to use the tanks all you gotta do is use some carb cleaner and flush it out.
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Post by PanPal »

I think WD 40 will evaporate. Some thicker oil may do a better job for a longer period of time. Just remember to flush it before you run them.
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

you could try this.....http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/267557" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or just keep them in a closet in the house,( just don't tell the wife)

mbskeam
Red55FL
Bikes: 1955 FL on a 54 frame
2012 Heritage Softail Classic

Post by Red55FL »

I have used LPS 3 with very good results for years on parts that are being stored for extended periods and for parts being shipped offshore. Even after being offshore for years, parts coated with LPS 3 are not rusted. The best part is that it washes off with solvent.
This is what I would use if I were storing anything metal for an extended period.
Here is a link to LPS Laboratories.
You should be able to get some at an industrial supply house or a bearing distributer.

http://www.lpslabs.com/Products/CorrosionInh/Lps3.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Red
jackrocks
Inactive member

Post by jackrocks »

Thanks all for the info, we use LPS 3 at work in aerasol and I think that will be the ticket, however I will purchase a gallon can and pour it in so as to coat all the internal areas.
Mbskeam, you must be a single man if you have more than one cubic inch of closet space! LOL
Sidecar
Bikes: -

Post by Sidecar »

All of my buddies use Pam in the spray can. A few spray the bike down every fall and wash it off in the spring.

What's that smelly stuff called that they put on guns ?? ( Casite or something like that?) Hell, saltwater doesn't even bother that stuff.
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

Hi Sidecar

I think you are referring to Cosmoline. It is a very effective corrosion preventer but nasty stuff. It's a B---- to get off, we usually had to use gasoline or some strong solvent followed by boiling water. But it worked. In the 60's I remember cleaning off equipment coated in WW II and it was pristine.
My favorite rust preventer/lubricant is "Fluid Film" from Eureka Chemicals. For shop use it comes in a rattle can and puts a good lasting coat on parts. Easy to clean off later.

King
jackrocks
Inactive member

Post by jackrocks »

Cosmoline is probably the best protectant (it's pasty and thicker than axle grease) but I need to get it inside the tanks and back out without cutting them open.
I toured the Battleship Massachusetts about 8 yrs ago when it was in the Boston Yard having the bottom painted and got to go inside the 16" gun turrets, the main ring gears that turn them were coated with cosmoline according to the tag in 1948 when it was decommissioned and some 50 yrs later it looked like it was just done that morning.
King, I'll check out "Fluid Film" but I'm really looking for something I can pour in there, roll it around to coat all the internal bare metal and have it stick and protect then wash it out with gas when I'm ready to use them again. Even if I don't get it all out the worse thing to happen is the motor might smoke a little and foul a set of plugs. That would be alot easier to correct than cleaning the rust out of the tanks. I think there is a thread on this board on how to do that but I would like to avoid it if possible.
Thanks for the replies.

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”