Fuel tank repair

Fixman
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Fuel tank repair

Post by Fixman »

We are working on an original paint 1965 Pan and it appears there might be a slight tank leak. I have been told that Starklite Cycle (an antique Indian shop) can repair a tank leak without resorting to a Kreem like product, and without damaging the paint. Anybody (Cotten) heard of the procedure?
Anyone have any ideas for repairing the tank?

Thanks,

Kent
Cotten

Re: Fuel tank repair

Post by Cotten »

Kent!

Indian tanks were entirely of soldered construction, so you can be certain that Starklite has paramount experience with low-temp repairs, which often will not affect paint beyond what a reasonable touch-up will cover.

Have you determined the extent of the leak by immersing the capped tank in very warm water?
Is it a stress crack at a bracket, or stud? Or merely a spot worn through from loose vibration, and not anywhere that shows?

I preach against sealers and goobers because of the changing fuels we endure, and the horrific failures of the even the most tried and true brands. But J-BWeld has sure worked for me.

Let us know more about the damage....

....Cotten
Fixman
Inactive member

Post by Fixman »

Thanks Cotten. I'll know more in a week or so and will let you know what we find.

Kent
headhog
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by headhog »

The only way to repair a welded tank is to tig weld the crack and use a cold wet rag right after you lay the weld in this will prevent any paint damage, of course that will depend on where they are leaking from. most leaks and cracks are on the mounting side so that shouldnt be a big problem http://www.headhog.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”