New tin: where can I find aftermarket tin

gpp3442
Former member
Bikes: *

New tin: where can I find aftermarket tin

Post by gpp3442 »

Gentleman,
I would like to remove and store my original fenders and tank.
1)where can I find aftermarket tin that can basically bolt on/drilling holes O.K. prefer not to have to cut i.e. chain cutout.
2)Would like a shorty rear fender w/or w/o supports and a similiar front fender, short fat boy type.
3)Also would like to go to the 140 in the rear, will it fit under a 7.5" fender?
4)Would like to keep the 130 up front but I think Avon makes a fatter size, info?
Please I've seen these Milwaukee Iron, J.J, jobs and can't go that deep into my pockets, arms a little too short. Is all the stuff out there only for wide glide fronts,
Can I fit these on the FL? Thanks
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Re: New tin

Post by panfreak »

Where can you find aftermarket tin that will basically bolt on? Ha! If you find ANY I'll be amazed. And if you do, there'll be a thousand guys lined up with their visas in hand. Sorry to burst your bubble, but I just can't see it happening. At least not from my experience.
Chew.
dereborn
Former member
Bikes: .

Post by dereborn »

I got my aftemarket rear fender with supports from the swedish supplyer "BikeLine" (http://www.bikeline.se" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) Fit right in! I just tapped out the hinge bolt and got myself an oldschool bobber fender, which is - imho - reeeeeaaally cool!. (Wanna see what you think about it? Search the gallery for my name...) The little left-over piece makes a good start for a custom-made bobber front fender...
57stroker
Inactive member
Bikes: '57

Post by 57stroker »

I got 2 rear fenders the other day at a local place that sells parts for utility trailers - $12 a piece.

Now, everyone in unison - "What a Cheap Bastard!"
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

57stroker-
Good thinking. Those were Indian Larry's favorite fenders, Cheap$ & strong. perfect chopper fenders.. ;)
gpp3442
Former member

Post by gpp3442 »

thanks 57STROKER, I thought of that and almost ripped the fenders off my boat trailer. What I still don't understand is the front fender? Those aftermarket fenders that fit the fat boys/heritage will they fit on my stock 57 front end, I see all the pictures in the catalogs but the brackets look narrower. Paugcho sells brackets can I buy one of those fancy fenders and weld the brackets on? and how wide would the front fender have to be to stay with the stock 16" tire. Any reccomendation for the front fender would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all.
panhead
Site Admin
Bikes: 1954 FL

Post by panhead »

Something like this?
finnish_panhead.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
gpp3442
Former member

Post by gpp3442 »

Thank you Panhead YES,YES,YES.
It looks like there are spacers between the forks and front fender. I love that bike, I just raked mine 3 degrees with the offset cups lowered the bike and had to put some new risers on the bars. I hope I can find a similiar fender for the front and apply the spacers as in the picture you sent(still wiping the drool off my chin). Going to go with a 71/2"flat fender in the rear, cut to about 28". Does anyone know if I can fit a 150/80 Avon performer in the rear on my 57 frame?
sleeper

Post by sleeper »

GP-
a 150/80/16 needs a 3.5" rim & has a 6.25" section width
& a 130/90/16 uses a 3-3.5" rim & has a 5" section width

Avon's are always a bit fatter than other brands, & these listed specs.

So even if you have a 5/8" gap from chain to tire. The chain will touch....It's NOT likely gonna fit w/out mods.

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”