Oil tank support bracket for wraparound oil tank

peteh
Inactive member

Oil tank support bracket for wraparound oil tank

Post by peteh »

I am wanting to use a wraparound oil tank in a late seventies frame. I bought the bracket from v-twin that is supposed to work. They say in the catalog that the frame needs to be drilled and tapped. Fine, except there are no instructions as to where. It looks like maybe on the right side there is a little lug right above the swingarm pivot but there isnt a place on the left side plus it looks like there will be interference from the chain. Anybody got experience with this piece or should I just use a rigid bracket and bolt the back of the oil tank support to the fender. Any input greatly appreciated.
PanPal
Bikes: 50 EL chopper
44 U that looks like a 37.
60 FLH (Sold)
59 FLH (Sold)
58 FL (Sold)
08 CVO Road King

Re: Oil tank support bracket

Post by PanPal »

Outside the swing arm in line with the pivot bolt on the frame. Duo's have rectangular shaped pads. Yes one bolt is directly under the chain and sometimes the bracket needs to be shimmed so it does not interfere with the action of the swing arm. Battery tray will need spacers front and rear. Important piece you have there if you are running a stock primary cover. I see people leave it out and wonder why the primary cracks around the mounting tabs. This is a special bolt too. The primary to oil tank screw should have a spring on it, and a cotter pin in the end of the bolt to keep the nut from coming off.
peteh
Inactive member

Re: Oil tank support bracket

Post by peteh »

Just came in from the garage after mulling this over with a buddy. My frame is a late shovelhead. There is a pad above the swingarm pivot hole on the right but none on the left. I dont think I will have the primary issues you refer to. I dont see where there is any screw between the primary and oil tank. I think Ill have to wait for winter when I tear this thing down to get into any welding,drilling and tapping. Thanks for the help.

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”