Tin primary: how's this go together

55FL
Bikes: '55 fl

Tin primary: how's this go together

Post by 55FL »

Going back to tin primaries on my 55. Broke down and bought the colony inner primary mounting kit.
Question is: how does this go together ? Three bolts into the motor case but what's the order for the lock tab, spacer, inner primary and that funky sort of sprung washer/tab ?
I understand the idea of it "floating" but am uncertain on the order of installation of the parts.

John
03Roadking
Bikes: 1962 Panhead Scooter

Re: Tin primary: how's this go together

Post by 03Roadking »

John
Under this same heading go to page two and check out Topic:"Primary Case Bolts" it explains it
55FL

Post by 55FL »

Thanks, I understand the rear mounting order, it's how the front attaches to the motor. The three bolts, lock tabs, spacers and weird, funky, sprung six sided "washer" has got me scratching my head and muttering to myself.

John
55FL

Post by 55FL »

Alright, figured out how the front primary mounts go together but now a new issue.
I run 65 and later transmission and shafts for the day I go to electric start. In the past my aluminum primaries provided the bearing support for the tranny. Now with the steel/tin primaries the aftermarket bearing support really fouls up the inner cover alignment. The bearing support kicks the inner cover out more than 3/4 inch.
Any experiences with this issue ? How much stress does not running the bearing support place on the mainshaft assembly ?
Do I have to hog out the stamped inner primary to accept the support ?
Should of known better than to do this in the fall...Northern California is God's gift to panheads in the fall and it bites having mine down now. Just not macho /masochistic enough to run it open.

John
mbskeam
Bikes: *

Post by mbskeam »

hello,
I have read that over time it can kill the bearings......
but I will be doing the same thing with a late model shaft in a non eared case, so we will see.

as for the support , you could just cut the tin around it. and then leave more cut out to the rear as the chain will stretch, and you will have to pull tranny back.
if you take your time you could get the tin to fit real tight around the support, to help keep out most road crap.

mbskeam

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”