81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Inner primary cover

Post by Skip »

Description: The ratchet lid is rubbing on my new primary

Well another minor problem that I ran into putting Grampa back together...the ratchet lid is rubbing on my new primary...primary is correct for the bike but rubbing none the less..any ideas or suggestions?? I'll try to answer some questions to help diagnoses the problem...the ratchet lid moves free, even though it is rubbing...painted both before installation...seems to be ok until tightened up fully...and I do tighten fully everything else seems to fit ok with primary! Thanks for the help in advance...Skip.
fourthgear
Inactive member
Bikes: -

Re: Inner primary cover

Post by fourthgear »

skip, I assume you are talking about the shifter arm and cover on your ratchet top, do you have the springs on the mounts for oil tank and lower frame?with out those stock set up springs it may be too close in the back end of inner primary.
Skip
Bikes: 48 pan
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

I have never had springs on my oil tank mount or the lower frame...may need to check in to that...thanks..Skip

I have tried to locate some info on those springs, as they are NEW to me, and can find none...could you explain more about them and exactly where they go? As I said earlier I have never had them on mine and am a bit confused as to thier function and placement...Thanks again Skip.
King
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by King »

Hi Skip

The bolt and spring set-up is a bit hard to describe but I will take a shot.

There are two tabs at the rear of the inner primary case one at about 2 o'clock on the outer rim and the other at about five. The upper tab bolts on to the arm that comes down off the oil tank. The rear chain guard also bolts on to this arm. It is very common for the end of the arm to have broken off (cause somebody mounted the case/chainguard without a spring) and if yours has suffered this damage I would recommend brazing on a washer to repair it and provide a mount for the primary case and chain guard. The other tab bolts to a tab on the bottom frame rail.

The bolt sets for both tabs consist of a bolt (with cotter pin), a washer, and a spring. If you go to http://www.nosparts.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and look in their Panhead catalogue under chain guards you will see what the set looks like under part # C9601-10.

I'm out in the field now so can't look at how they are installed but if I remember right on the upper tab the spring fits between the oil tank arm and the case tab and at the bottom the spring is between the frame tab and the case tab. The nut goes on the outside and is secured by the cotter pin.

Hope this helps.

King
Skip
Bikes: 48 pan
81 shovel
01 softail std
04 heritage
08 roadking
72 ct70

Post by Skip »

Hey THANKS a bunch...fixed the problem...they were never there before...washers were used instead...no more rub...Skip

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”