Tank emblems on a '57

57Kicker
Bikes: -

Tank emblems on a '57

Post by 57Kicker »

Ho-Ho-Ho....'tiss the season and Merry Christmas!

I am hoping to paint my tank and fendrs on my 57 and was wanting to know what the emblems look like.
Now here's the test. Even though mine is a 57 it looks like a 58. (know the difference?) So I am undecided if I should stick with the 57 emblem and paint style or do the 58...if there is a difference in paint scheme any way.
It will be Black and White to match the whide white wall tyres.
Maybe Santa will put it under the tree for me...

CHEERS!
kickerdel
Bikes: *

Re: Tank emblems

Post by kickerdel »

According to the research I have done the part number that you will need is, 61773-57
This is a round badge with red and gold/yellow inlay.
A 58 badge is the same shape but with gold only inlay, part number 61773-58.
Hope this helps. Part numbers are from Kickstart motorcycles.

Del
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Post by DuoDave »

57 kicker - My point of view is that your bike is a '58 with a '57 engine, so I would paint it in the '58 colours. the '58s had a contrasting top panel on the gas tank that wraps around the front of the badge more closely than on the '57. Also the '58 fenders had the sides painted to match the contrast panel on the tank. As usual, H-D gave customers the option of a solid colour rather than two-tone.
Just my two cents worth. It's down to you to decide how you want to go.
57Kicker
Bikes: -

Post by 57Kicker »

DuoDave
Thanks for the tip. I was thinking of doing the '58 theme. Funny thing is I have a small collection of 1/64th scale replica antique Harley's. I searched for many months to find one that looked like my bike and it finally paid off. It IS a '58 and the paint on it is very, very close to the way my bike looks now. Except the tanks are solid black with white stripes.
I am going to do the tank as you suggested. All I need to do is find a decal or acual badge to suite the 58.
Is it the same as 57?

cheers!
DuoDave
Bikes: duo

Post by DuoDave »

The '57 and '58 badges are similar. The '57 has red and silver quarters with the Harley-Davidson script in red. The '58 has a gold background with the H-D script on a black rectangular ground. I think you can get reproductions of both types.
fxe76
Inactive member
Bikes: *

Post by fxe76 »

A little unclear as to the year of your bike --- if it has a swing arm it is a 58 --- engine number will tell you the year of manufacture for your engine --- emblems for both 57 and 58 are available from JP cycle --- original tanks had dimples on the side of the tank to accomidate the mounting screws of the emblems --- sitck on mounts are also available for non original tanks --- hope this helps

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”