Tank sealer

panoply

Tank sealer

Post by panoply »

My gas tank started to seep near one of the mounts. I plan to coat the inside with a product called POR-15 standard gas tank sealer and see if this does the job. It seems like a no brainer with their instructions. Any hidden gotcha's I should be concerned with? I'm setup with stock '59 split tanks. Or other products you would recommend...
BigMike
Bikes: 01 FLHPI
64 FLH
Various partials....

Re: Tank sealer

Post by BigMike »

POR-15 is good stuff, as is Kreem, take your pick. make sure tank is clean and dry. I've had good results with both.
PBR

Post by PBR »

I used Kreem back in the early '80's when it first came out,unless they've improved it ! I would use POR-15,octane booster used to eat up KREEM. PBR
panfreak
Panhead Register Member

Post by panfreak »

Panoply,
I would first recommend fixing the leak properly, anything short of this will only delay the inevitable. I have used the POR-15 and although it is inexpensive and easy to apply, I was surprised at how thin it is (apparantly my thought is common) and I just don't know how effective it would be in plugging holes. I will say that if you go this route, you'll have a small puddle in your tank after you drain what you can out, try and prop the tank in such a way that the puddle is over your cracks. I layed mine in the sun all day because it seemed to take a long time to dry.
Chew.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

I suggest you test any sealer in your local fuel before you commit to coating your tanks.
The local qwickymart gas here in Illinois will soften, shrivel, crack, and peel POR-15 in 15 minutes.
It digests it.
It is not that it was not a good sealer, it is just that the gas got that nasty!
panoply

Post by panoply »

Wow. I guess that might be why they want to sell a "gas stabilizer". Not something I'd be willing to add at each fill up. Testing the sealer without the stabilizer sounds like a good idea. Thanks.
VintageTwin
Bikes: '46 Knuck. '57 Panhead, '59 Panhead

Post by VintageTwin »

Take the tanks to someone that will weld them. Pat Kennedy welded my '59 tanks. They had been pounded on the right bottom from the Pan covers by the previous owner (Junkert) who had stroker plates on his Pan motor. Maybe he used dry ice in the tank. His welder was a huge box. No label. This welder was a 4 ft. high box. When he finished, the place on the tank that was thin, now had a nice, flat puddle of metal on top. Like he squeezed metal out of a tube. I think his machine was a heli-arc. The two-part coatings aren't for repairing leaks. Go to a Harley dealer, maybe they will point you in the right direction of their welder.
panoply

Post by panoply »

Now convinced POR 15 is the way to go for this type of leak. Just a pinhole seep. Products are made for such a repair. Trying to avoid welding, would like to save the paint job. If the tank sealer doesn't do the trick (and I'll let you know either way) then we'll fire up the welder and then break out the spray gun.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

I have had MUCH better luck with common J-B Weld on a pinhole than any sealer.

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”