Gas Tank Rust

white1j0
Bikes: '02 Fatboy, '47 Knuckle, '52Pan

Gas Tank Rust

Post by white1j0 »

Bought a set of '48 gas tanks on ebay, they were Kreamed at one time and a lot of the sealant is still intact, I got most of it out using acetone, but now I have a rust issue, I've cleaned up other tanks using Naval Jelly and Metal Rescue, which both work on light surface rust, but on heavier rust they're not much good, I was thinking about glass beading them, any thoughts or suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Re: Gas Tank Rust

Post by james »

There should be a lot of information in the knowledge base on fuel tank cleaning. It's been covered.
From tumbling the tanks with nuts or short dry wall screws to different types of chemical cleaners.
I personally would not try glass beading the inside of the tanks. Tough to get all the glass out.
I do like the tumbling or shaking method with a few handful of drywall screws and WD40.
There will be others with ideas sure to chime in.

Cheers,
Jim M
andyinlz
Bikes: 1967 FLH
1959 FLH
Other H-Ds

Post by andyinlz »

Take them to a radiator shop.

Have them boiled out.

Have them sealed with Red-Kote.

Problem solved unless you are trying to save the exterior paint.
58demon
Bikes: 1958 FLH Duo-glide, 1993 FXSTS restored

Post by 58demon »

I have found KBS tank seal to be the best on the market (my opinion of course) It hardens like steel. I have used all the others and I believe you will find this one to surpass the rest. The rust remover in the kit works very well, I usually use a couple of pieces of chain in the tank to assist removal. The kit is user friendly.

http://www.jegs.com/p/KBS-Coatings/KBS- ... 8/10002/-1

If you are worried about the exterior while sealing your tank use kreem tank mask which washes off with soap and water when you done.

http://www.kreem.com/tankmask.html

Good luck.

Joe
james
Bikes: 1952 FL
2020 Honda Super Cub

Post by james »

I tried Caswell's epoxy fuel tank sealer and it looks like the tanks are coated with glass inside.
Held up very well for 4 years now, I see no issues. Tanks were perfectly clean before coating and the fuel shut off aligned.

Jim M

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”