Tail light height 1956 fender

theo
Bikes: 1956 panhead, project 1958 panhead, honda cbr 1000rr

Tail light height 1956 fender

Post by theo »

Hello,

I have a 1956 panhead with a damaged rear fender.
The rear bracket came of and has torn the paint.
My current fender is of a earlier type with the tombstone tallight.
I want to replace it with a correct type fender and tail light.
What is the correct mounting heigt for this tail light and license plate bracket?
Most reproductions dont have the mounting holes.

Thanks for the help.

Theo
Gotnoclass
Bikes: 58FLH

Re: Tail light height 1956 fender

Post by Gotnoclass »

http://m.ebay.com/itm/271821780592" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Is this what you are looking for?
theo

Post by theo »

Hello,

That is the type i have bought.
I just have no way of telling what the correct height is.
Gotnoclass
Bikes: 58FLH

Post by Gotnoclass »

Post a picture. If it's missing the cutout for the tail light it would be difficult (but not impossible) to add. If indeed missing, you may want to consider buying a used OEM section just like in that eBay auction to put in. You MAY have to change the hinge knuckles for the flap piece as I understand aftermarket is different than the OEM.
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

I have an original fender I can measure in the morning.
theo

Post by theo »

Hello,

The reproduction has no holes in what so ever for the tail light but with the correct measurments it should not be a problem.
The metal on the old fender has become thin during the years, i fixed it a couple of times but it doesn't last long.
I am afraid that if i buy a used section the problem will be the same.
I have been looking for a " new old stock" rear fender but have had no luck so far.
I got a reproduction in yesterday but it is about 2 inch of with the brackets, so i am returning that one.
Does anybody have experience with a supplier that makes good reproductions (ps. i live in the netherlands).

Thanks
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Theo----Wait for The measurements that RUBONE said he will give you!/& use what you have.As far as finding a OEM fender YES ITS POSIBLE!/Sometimes you have to put out some feelers!.But as far as Aftermarket Fenders/Its the luck of the draw!--All the v-twin rigid fenders You will have to modify IN SOME WAY!--(I installed one on a friends pan & had to tack-weld the metal clanps that hold the wiring to the tail-lits & Drill a hole to make a pass-thru for wiring.Then I had to drill the 4-holes for the U-bolts that hold the fender to frame behind battery.Its all easy beginner things that it needed,But I have seen them so rippled on the sides where the curve of the fender is/& that is ALOT of body work to get perfect IF Showing-If your mounting the saddlebag metal then its no worries!.If you really want a OEM fender KEEP an eye on FLEA-BAY & some other sources like SWAP-MEETS!--I pick-up A lot of OEM stuff from brake-shoes to /hell just name it.If your bike is all OEM-(then I would put the repop on so you can ride it until you find the Golden Nugget!.---Respectfully--Richie
theo

Post by theo »

Hello,

Thanks for your reply,
I will wait for the measurements, thanks for that in advance.
I have been looking for some time now but had no luck finding a oem or nos so far, if anybody knows where to find one please let me know.
Where i live there are not that many swap meets unfortunately.
I will keep looking on ebay.
The reproduction i have now will probably never fit unless i take it apart, i will return this one and look for a other one that fits better and just keep looking for a oem or nos fender.

Theo
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

Here are some dimensions. Sorry for the poor picture quality. All dimensions were taken with a cloth tape following the fender contour (I know it doesn't appear so in the pics). The reason for the rivet measurement is to establish a centerline on the fender.
Bottom of fender end to bottom of taillight metal housing-------------6-1/2 inches
Bottom of fender to top hole for rear stand clip------------------------- 5-3/4 inches
Bottom of fender to centerline of license plate bracket holes--------11-3/4 inches
Center to center of license plate bracket holes---------------------------1-1/4 inches
Center to center on rivets, top and bottom pairs-------------------------5-1/4 inches
Edge of fender at brace clip to taillight housing both sides ------------------4 inches

theo

Post by theo »

Hello,

Thank you very much rubone.
This is exactly what i need, as soon as i have my new fender in i can start mounting everything.

Theo

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”