Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Inner Primary reinforcement

Post by Scrap »

RE: 57 FL. I was going to make a reinforcing ring for the motor sprocket end of my cracked inner tin. I see ready made rings for models up to 1954. What's the difference between a 54 and a 57? Would it be easy to make it fit?
Thanks,
Sam
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: Inner Primary reinforcement

Post by 58flh »

SAM--I think so!--A homemade one would be no problem!--Also you can find a inner at a swap for cheap!--(if its ruined that is)-Mine I made a ring to & I believe my inner is repop -NOT-SURE--BUT the part that goes over the case is rounded at the outer edge!--So if stock ones aren't curved at the outer then its a repop. I just cut a chamfer on the ring with the Lathe!.--BEEN on forever already & no problems!--bout -(25yrs. ago).---Respectfully---RICHIE 8)--I forgot to add that I had an idea to make a primary chain tensioner & mount it to the inner!---As the metal is thin it would flex under the spring pressure!--(IM still thinking on doing it,,Thinking on making a reinforcing plate & screw it to the backside!--.125 steel plate should be plenty if spread out enuff!--I think?---Ill try on a bad one I have first & see how it reacts with a ford serpentine-belt tensioner!--I already know it will fit & I have to use a lesser -strong sping in the tensioner!,& make a chain sprocket with bering out of a motor sprocket.---IT might work we will see.---RICHIE

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”