dip stick popping out

dragpipe
Inactive member

dip stick popping out

Post by dragpipe »

hey guys,
when i kick the peddle, the dip stick is popping out of the horseshoe oil tank on the compression stroke. it fits pretty good, as tight as my sportster's dip stick. i was enitially just going to get a tighter fitting one but thought i should post this question first..., because it seems odd to me that the compression is coming that hard through the oil tank. my lines are correct, the bike will start with duct tape, but i dont have YET a compression tester...any suggestions? has anyone ever encountered this?

thanks to all!!!
FlatHeadSix
Bikes: '31 VL, '34 VD, '45 WLA, '47 WL, '49 FL, '51 WL, '58 ST (Hummer), '71 GE (Servi)

Post by FlatHeadSix »

Dragpipe...
here in Arkansas they use Duct Tape for just about anything, you name it,
but I have never seen anyone start a pan with it!

sorry, I couldn't resist that one.

Seriously, you're correct, there should not be that much pressure in the oil tank. You either have some severely worn/broken compression rings or the breather is plugged. I'd check the breather.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Panhead oiltank caps (with "dipsticks") screw in.

Anything else ain't real.

....Cotten
dragpipe
Inactive member

Post by dragpipe »

the breather in the gear case, right? sorry for the INEXPERIANCE...

the bike hasnt seen the road yet so dont have visions of a panhead going down the highway held together by duct tape. that would be upsetting for some, me included.

i'm just learning as i go
dragpipe
Inactive member

Post by dragpipe »

i should say its a 53 motor and everything else aftermarket.
whats the best way to clean the breather ??
thanks
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

dragpipe
There are a few things to make too much pressure in the oil tank. First , if you have a threaded oil tank filler for a threaded dip stick , I would get a threaded one like has been said to put in there ( its what they came with ) Unless you have an after market one that takes the rubber grommet type one like 65 and up electric starts have. You say it runs with tape on it , does the tape blow off ? The breather in the cam chest can be out of time , worn out ( too much clearance in the case where it runs , the screen can be plugged ( silicone sealant clogging it or some other type of matter ) Are you getting a lot of oily blow by from your breather going into the primary ? Is it blowing out of there a bunch when running? You say you have the oil lines right , no kinks or restrictions ? Are you getting oil return to the tank ? A lot of questions , but its a process of elimination and we don't have the bike in front of us to see.
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

'65s had no side-bung to pop out on you.

That's a superglide thang.

....Cotten
dragpipe
Inactive member

Post by dragpipe »

flathead 6, cotten, fourthgear...thanks for youre help.
i just typed a reply that took a long time and i lost it somehow.
in short ... the bike looks to me like it has been picked at over the years.
i have papers of a motor rebuild in hamilton (can) in84. it looks like the bike has been put together with a bunch of mis-matched spare parts from around the shop, and i dont think it has seen the road since. i was assured the motor was looked after...turning the motor with fresh oil every month...ect, but the master cylinder for the front brake was rotted out...basically it was far from ridable...

i ask for youre advise, good or bad, what to keep, what to replace...
the picture is from when i got her. you can see the oil lines look like they were thrown on quickly, with not much care...the oil tank has the rubber gromet style cap.

ill send more pics if needed.
thanks again!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
fourthgear
Inactive member

Post by fourthgear »

dragpipe
Nice scoot , try and wipe the grommet and inside of filler after checking oil and it might help. Sometimes extra oil keeps it from getting a good interference fit.
Cotten
your right, my bad , I looked at mine and of course , it has to be repop or from a ShovelHead.
PeterRytter
Inactive member

Post by PeterRytter »

did you locate the problem ??
PeterRytter
Inactive member

Post by PeterRytter »

did you locate the problem ??
dragpipe
Inactive member

Post by dragpipe »

thanks guys
i think its just a little sloppy. im going to clean the breather and find a tighter cap. the bike is getting reassembled now so i'll no better in a while. i will be sure to let you all know... is this the best route to go?
Cotten

Post by Cotten »

Back in my 'custom' days with a Paughco oiltank, I encountered the same problem.

I solved it by making a cap from a large rubber stopper with a bolt though it to expand it like a freeze plug. Naturally I machined it up fancy with stainless and billet aluminum (back before billet was kewl).

....Cotten
lockdoc
Inactive member
Bikes: 65 Panhead in a 70 FLH frame

Post by lockdoc »

For whatever reason (haven't figured out why yet but I'll try the above mentioned ideas) I pulled into my drive after work today and suddenly felt a warm fuzzy feeling! I have a horse shoe tank like pictured as well and the cap popped off and gave me a nice splash on the ass. The cap has always been very loose so this time I shoved a socket up the end to stretch it out wider and heated it to keep the large size and then cooled it down quickly. Pulled the socket out and tried it. MUCH tighter fit now.

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”