removing oil line nipples from oil tank

bigrongee
Bikes: 57 FLH Panhead

removing oil line nipples from oil tank

Post by bigrongee »

O.K. guys I need your opinions and/or suggestions please. I want to remove the top two nipples of a horseshoe oil tank. weld up the holes and fix it so it looks like they were never there. drill two holes in the bottom of tank, insert two metal pipes that reach to where the nipples used to be, weld them in and screw on brass fittings for rubber oil lines. Would this work? Thanks for any advice.
bangkokbob
Bikes: 94FLSTN
63FLH

Re: removing oil line nipples from oil tank

Post by bangkokbob »

Possibly would but why would you?

Going to be bloody hard for someone to salvage that bag in the future.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

I agree with above statement!--Also the tubes running up will take-on oil!--not the return but the case will & its much better to have them as they are!--specialy for case-vent!,Its easier to expel any that sloshes in during normal riding!---Respectfully---RICHIE
RUBONE
Bikes: Multiple H-D, Ducati, BMW, Triumph, BSA,...

Post by RUBONE »

If it is an aftermarket tank then go for it. If it is an original tank then sell it or trade it and get an aftermarket to modify. Will it work? Sure it will, stuff like that has been done many times. There are even aftermarket tanks already set up that way. as long as the pipes extend high enough to be above the oil level it will work just fine. But if they are unsupported within the tank and fracture it will be a mess.
Robbie
bigrongee

Post by bigrongee »

Thanks for the feedback. I would never destroy an oem part. The tank that I have is already in very bad shape so the alteration will not hurt it. I'm not sure if it's oem or after market.
Hauula Pan
Bikes: 1952 FL

Post by Hauula Pan »

are you doing this to create a smooth look & hide the oil lines ??? It would be easier to just buy a custom tank. If you just want to run rubber lines you can just buy the adapters that screw onto the stock nipples. More info. on why you are thinking of removing the stock nipples & modifying the tank would help us understand what you're trying to accomplish & why and would make it easier to offer more constructive responses.
lostboy
Bikes: 59 FLH

Post by lostboy »

If you want to run rubber hose
oil lines just find some hard lines that are broken (swap-meet), cut the ends off leaving a tail to attach said rubber lines. That is how mine is set up,
No muss No fuss!
Eric
bigrongee

Post by bigrongee »

I'm not running stock oil lines. I fabricated them in the shop at work and the rear exhaust pipe is only 1/4 inch or less from oil lines. If the lines were inside the tank they would be out of the way and give the tank a smooth look.

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”