Paint

jellero
Former member

Paint

Post by jellero »

i had a PM about the blue paint on my bike and just remembered what i bought and it isn't an official harley color. it is a chrysler color from the book at the local auto parts place. i saw a dodge pickup with the blue i remembered on harleys back when i was a kid. i thought that if i bought some paint out of a magazine or bike shop i might not ever match it but with a chrysler color it would be easy to find if i needed a match years later. i never did that but it was a good idea... chrysler has some very intense colors, just look at some of their cars or look at the book. that was "fourth dimension" brand, a two part blue/clearcoat urethane. fairly inexpensive and didn't react violently to temp changes going off in the pot or never going off. i was working outside to keep from painting all my bikes blue... (i was once building a kayak with a polyester resin and the temp dropped 30 degrees as a t.storm moved in leaving me with a very sticky boat on my porch).
if you have enough time and clear (and sandpaper and compounds), you can have a perfect paint job. i can see how the body shops wanted a couple grand though, lots of time. j

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”