65eglide
Inactive member
Bikes: 65 fl
2000 ultra
98 sporty
98 heritage classic

removing gas tank sealer

Post by 65eglide »

i need to remove all the old tank sealer as it's flaking in some spots, any recomendations as what to use.
not sure what brand of sealer is in there, but it's silver in color.
but I,m think it might be POR
1950Panhead
Bikes: 1950Panhead

Re: removing gas tank sealer

Post by 1950Panhead »

Paint remover, most expensive can on the shelf.
Jerry
speedking1949
Bikes: 49 FL

Post by speedking1949 »

I've had good luck with acetone. Hardware stores sell it in gallon cans.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

I'd leap straight to MethylEthylKetone.

Stored outdoors, of course.

....Cotten
65eglide
Inactive member
Bikes: 65 fl
2000 ultra
98 sporty
98 heritage classic

Post by 65eglide »

Ya I've heard acetone works on some. but not others.
I'll try both to what results I get
kevsett
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by kevsett »

Methylene Chloride strippers that wax over and can be used, and reused, and reused work great. But MC is a harmful chemical so use it in a well ventilated area and with gloves. Other strong solvents such as toluene, mek, and acetone are good too, but will more readily evaporate than stripper so keep the part closed tight to inhibit evaporation.
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

I have tried all above & success with MEK,Acetone,& 1 not mentioned XYLOL (XYLENE)--Its Strong & Combustible & Carcinogenic!--But it works GOOD!-As was said use chemical gloves when handling any of that crap!--Throw the gloves out when done!---Richie----Forgot to mention ,Aircraft-Stripper,--its heavy ,yellow in color comes in a steel gallon can for $30. It takes everything from heavily coated paint-jobs & tank-sealers!,-Any Good Auto-Parts will have it or Autopaint supply.--It depends how heavy your coating is on!--If its peeling already, just stick with the MEK or acetone!-no need to dump cash on it!--You probably have the stuff in your garage already!----Richie
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Post by 58flh »

Talking tank sealers!---I checked on my shortster after the storm & I used CREME 1-bottle of some white-stuff. I coated the tank maybe 15,17yrs ago & I have been running the fuels that we have on the eastern seaboard & no Problems -(yet).--I have been putting the crap with ethylalcohol in the pumps now since they started adding 10% to the gas!. My ol-Lady says no problems running & its firing on 1-2 kicks as usual.--Also running a S&S-B carb. on it. & no leaks yet anyway.---I have heard that some guys used the KREEM just a few yrs. back & it peels in globs from what I have been reading!--(cant be the same chemicals in it as it had back then). As far as my Pan I have no sealer!,-I just coated them with MMO,& thats it!--I add 2-3oz. to every fill-up,(5galons).No rust problems or anything to complain about in that dept. Also the Bike never sits for long periods!-If im not on it for 2-days its POURING ,or theres ICE on the roads.----What would be considered a GOOD TANK SEALER nowadays?,--I have been telling my people dont use nothing,& coat them with MMO as I did & keep an eye on things & a good METAL-FUEL FILTER!--I use a FORD one its a small inline filter & it sits between the cyl.s!--It has a rubber ring around it about 3/16 thick & WONT MELT!. Dimensions are 3inches long,1/2inch for 5/16 line nipple on both-sides,& that leaves 2inches for Filter!-(I forget the micron for the mesh-inside size)-But its the Best dam filter I ever ran!!!---I know its not correct, But It works!,& My bike is my everyday-transportation!, So theres Alot of things that are not Palmers-Book Correct!--But She dont let me down & I come home when its time.--I Also take a hour or so every week & go over entire bike!,especially if I went 400 miles or better that week.--Pops always said -(preventive maintenance,bailingwire & ducktape,will get you home EVERYTIME) :lol: He had a way of teaching me :wink: ---Anyway anything good to seal tanks with out there??---RICHIE
kevsett
Bikes: 1964 FL

Post by kevsett »

Note, xylene (xylol) is flammable (flashpoint is lower than 100 degrees F, probably around 78 F), but so is toluene and MEK..............and acetone will flash in a snow storm..............around 0 degrees F.

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”