installing primary cover

smorrismi
Inactive member
Bikes: 1957 Hydro glide panhead
1994 Fatboy

installing primary cover

Post by smorrismi »

always been taught to oil a gasket before assembling, but this is a panhead...

Anyone have tricks of the trade before installing the whole cover and other gaskets involved in it. I saw someone mention "sequence" of the bolts, but I couldn't find anywhere online where this was listed. Please let me know straight up how to do this if you have the time. it's basically the only thing holding me back from getting the engine running.

Thanks,
S
58flh
Former member
Bikes: 1958flh 1969sporty,had a knuckle but sold back to original owner

Re: installing primary cover

Post by 58flh »

On my gasket-(cork),I cleaned the cover of all oil!--Then wiped it with alcohol. After I used permatex #2 in a tube & spread it on the gasket with my finger!--Very light coat!.--Prior to this make sure the cover is not been distorted ,especially on the bottom screws where people tend to tighten them up more because of oil leaks!. As I mentioned a light even covering of the gasket to cover olny. After you apply the gasket to the cover ,install on bike & catch a few screws in it to hold it in place while you put all the other screws in. Then proceed to just meet the cover on each screw so that it is up against the mating surface with no play. Now tighten easily starting from the center & work your way around in a circle from top to bottom then top & bottom!,until you have them snugged a little. NEVER OVER TIGHTEN THEM!,-this will olny distort the cover-(bend it at the screw hole). Go around & snug them all up , take 3 passes at it dont just go for tight right away!. Mine are slotted screws so I use a 6 inch screwdriver, & never go tight! Its a feel thing.After you ride the bike let it cool & just a quarter turn to a half more is all that you will need. I have been doing mine this way along time & it has worked GREAT for me!. If you ever have to remove the cover for service the gasket will stay in place on the cover & go back on without a hitch!. USE the SEALER LIGHTLY on the GASKET! NO NEED to BOOGER it up!. Hope this helps & im sure others will tell you thier methods they use!--GOOD-LUCK----RICHIE 8)
Huck
Bikes: 58 hd
91 hd
09 custom

Post by Huck »

Tin primary or aluminum?
Scrap
Site sponsor
Site sponsor
Bikes: 1957 FL
1980 FLT
74 FXE
2017 road glide
1971 Bonneville
2021 Ural GU

Post by Scrap »

Is it really possible to park a pan, or a shovel for that matter, and not have evidence of where it was parked? I know its a worn out phrase, but if it ain't leaking, it's out of oil.
Cotten
Bikes: -

Post by Cotten »

Scrap!

'65 and later aluminum primaries are supposed to be sanitary when new.
Tin primaries had a drain to the ground.

....Cotten
Panacea
Bikes: 64FL 99FLHR 01FXSTD

Post by Panacea »

smorrisme, Also, put the gasket seam on top...Mike
smorrismi
Inactive member
Bikes: 1957 Hydro glide panhead
1994 Fatboy

Post by smorrismi »

thanks everyone... this is EXACTLY what I wanted to know. Right down to the gasket sealant.

Thanks to all of you as this is my first basket case and need all the help I can get. one day soon, I'll put up some pictures for everyone!
PanJud
Bikes: 1962 Duo Glide
1999 Road King

Post by PanJud »

while we're on the subject, anyone have any ideas for keeping the screws in those thin holes on the inner? (my aluminum came with some variety of metric, now have moved up to tapered 10/32's)
lownslow
Bikes: 1941 FL
1970 XLH
1974 Moto Guzzi

Post by lownslow »

58flh wrote:On my gasket-(cork),I cleaned the cover of all oil!--Then wiped it with alcohol. After I used permatex #2 in a tube & spread it on the gasket with my finger!--Very light coat!.--Prior to this make sure the cover is not been distorted ,especially on the bottom screws where people tend to tighten them up more because of oil leaks!. As I mentioned a light even covering of the gasket to cover olny. After you apply the gasket to the cover ,install on bike & catch a few screws in it to hold it in place while you put all the other screws in. Then proceed to just meet the cover on each screw so that it is up against the mating surface with no play. Now tighten easily starting from the center & work your way around in a circle from top to bottom then top & bottom!,until you have them snugged a little. NEVER OVER TIGHTEN THEM!,-this will olny distort the cover-(bend it at the screw hole). Go around & snug them all up , take 3 passes at it dont just go for tight right away!. Mine are slotted screws so I use a 6 inch screwdriver, & never go tight! Its a feel thing.After you ride the bike let it cool & just a quarter turn to a half more is all that you will need. I have been doing mine this way along time & it has worked GREAT for me!. If you ever have to remove the cover for service the gasket will stay in place on the cover & go back on without a hitch!. USE the SEALER LIGHTLY on the GASKET! NO NEED to BOOGER it up!. Hope this helps & im sure others will tell you thier methods they use!--GOOD-LUCK----RICHIE 8)

Great info Ritchie, though mine's distorted already with 3 holes needing small washers as the holes are too big. Nice touch with the permatex on the cover side! I think you're right about over-tightening to stop leaks. Been searching for a new / used one on flea-bay and the like. Someone along the way has also done a crapass job of welding from the inside which was not visible until I removed it to adjust the primary. :( The info you provided ain't in the service manual and is why I hang around this site!!!!!!

Return to “Fenders, Primary, Tanks & Paint”